QLD Cannon Hill Shopping Centre Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by RPI, 10th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Category: | The Courier Mail

About time they blew up Save City

And the idea of a no franchise centre for Cannon Central anchored by Woolies and Aldi sounds great.

HUGH72 likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I went to the opening day of the original Centre (K-Mart) I reckon about 1970. I’m feeling old. :eek:

KayTea, Skyegirl and Marg4000 like this.
  3. MissMel

MissMel Well-Known Member

Growing up in Morningside, I’ve always wondered why the dodgy end of the Cannon Hill shops wasn’t snapped up by developers. It’s been an eyesore for as long as I can remember.

4. Begonia

Begonia New Member

I couldn't find the Courier Mail article (seem to be for paid subscription only). So what do they propose to do to the Cannon Hill shopping centre?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Interesting pretext, however it will be interesting to see if they can pull it off with quality non-franchised retailers. They'll probably buckle to smaller multi-outlet brands.

KayTea likes this.
  6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Cannon Central is being redeveloped and expanded around the Woolworths and Aldi. Being developed as a place without franchises.

Save City is being demolished and starting again. Haven't defined on what will be rebuilt as yet.

Kmart Plaza is just having a few drive through places built in the corner.

7. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I think you're right. There are already a number of non-franchised shops in that area - can't say that they have a good frontage (kerbside appeal, so to speak) - some look rather cheap and nasty. The Butcher Shoppe is fantastic, though (but it's unfortunate their prices have gone up a bit over the past 18 months).

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@KayTea - Alot will come down to the quality of the leasing team, the balance of the incentives on offer, the quality of retail design etc so as not to erode asset value when achieving strong face rents.

Then in 2-3 years time undertake the strategic review and remix this parts of the centre which aren't firing on all 8 cylinders ie those tenancies with MATs < category benchmarks, high occupancy costs etc.

KayTea likes this.
  9. Begonia

Begonia New Member

I wonder what happened to the East village development in Cannon Hill Qld? Is it still going on? It seems to be sitting there for a few years.