Cancelling your credit card

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Harry30, 22nd Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

I currently have a credit card with a limit of $38k. The limit has steadily crept up over the years. I rarely have an outstanding balance much greater than $2k and always pay the card off ahead of the 20% interest rate kicking in. A few times a year, the balance balloons (private school fees, land tax), which I pay via credit card as I get the points and always pay off ahead of the interest period kicking in (60 days). In a recent appliation for finance on an investment property, my broker suggested I simply cancel the card or reduce the limit to $3k to improve serviceability. Unfortunately, my current card has a minimum limit of $17k so would need to cancel the current one and apply for a new card (has quite good rewards points). I always suggest serviceability should be based on total interest paid (zero) as I largely just use it as a convenient charge card, but those are the bank rules re serviceability and you aren’t going to change them in a hurry. Interested in the views of brokers on the forum. Are clients regularly cancelling or reducing credit cards to improve serviceability. I know you can go to a debit card, but some hotels and car hire companies will not accept those as a security deposit. Interested in getting the views of the forum.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Banks... :rolleyes:

We closed our cards years ago to scrape in to our bank's credit rules and ditching the card meant we could borrow more, even though we paid it off each month. So we cancelled it. I think from memory the limit may have been $5k.

Loans are approved, and next letter from our bank is an offer for a $24k credit card limit.

Go figure...

Phar Lap, Perthguy and Medine like this.
  3. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Not cancelling but often reducing limits. Credit card limits can make a material difference to serviceability and in many cases the client does not require a limit that high.
    Sometimes part of the qualification of an approval is that the bank will ask the client to reduce their credit card limit.
    But technically nothing to stop the client doing what they want post settlement. Likewise with many other forms of unsecured debt....

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes many cancelling and many reducing limits.
    A $30k credit card would reduce your borrowing power about $120k

chylld likes this.
  5. Harry30

Yes, that happened to me as well. Does not make a lot of sense. Thanks for the response.

6. Harry30

Thanks for the response. That raises another issue that has always niggled at me. I assume the banks serviceability check at the time of loan application is merely a snapshot in time. Once the loan is funded (let’s say with your commitments being 35% of your income), there is nothing stopping you from borrowing more from another bank down the track so that your serviceability Calc moves to 45%. In other words, there is nothing in a standard residential loan contract that requires you to maintain certain serviceability metrics for the life of the loan. Such requirements are quite common with large corporate loans (talking large listed companies now) where the financier will take no security over any assets but the company will pledge (I think it is called negative pledge) not to gear above certain levels and pledge assets as security to other lenders.

7. Terry_w

And some have told me they cancel their credit cards, but the card provider asks them to ring up after the loans settle and they can reinstate the card and its limit.

Babesoft and Jamesaurus like this.
  8. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

There are limitations depending on what debt you're taking out as to how your serviceability is assessed. You're right though, there is nothing to stop someone who has just maximized their borrowing capacity with an investment purchase to go out and buy a car completely on credit. It'll be problematic for them if they need to refinance that property down the track though (or anything that'll require a full assessment).

9. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

In general, more and more borrowers are 'cleaning up' their finances to improve borrowing power. There's less of a servicing margin to play with today, so things like reducing limits, removing small personal debts, etc are becoming more common.

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

as an aside

Be careful closing off a bunch of cards,and then applying for finance with lenders that use credit score, especially so with loan applications greater than 80 %

ta
    rolf

11. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

yep we were made to reduce limits on all credit cards before our most recent loan was approved

12. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

"I know you can go to a debit card, but some hotels and car hire companies will not accept those as a security deposit. Interested in getting the views of the forum."

I've never had an issue with this- through many hire companies and hotels, worldwide.

13. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Very common - with more borrowers finding their capacity to borrow constrained, every low hanging fruit which can be targeted to increase borrowing capacity is being utilised. Credit cards, paying out personal loans and even HECS/HELP debts are becoming common requests to be able to get a deal over the line for clients.

jins13 likes this.
  14. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

how does that work, I would have thought it is 1 to 1? does it take into account interest rates or something?

15. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a news for me.

16. Terry_w

If you borrow $30,000 then the minimum repayments would be about $900 per month. Most lenders go off 3% pm.

17. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

At the stage where I am thinking of making a voluntary payment to get rid of my HECS debt because it's providing an hindrance in me going forward. Yes, majority of people in the population will tell you to leave it as it's the best form of debt to have, but we are not 'normal' people in society that need to conform to that view.

Terry_w likes this.
  18. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Credit cards have a higher repayment amount required per dollar borrowed than a 30 year home loan - so it is seen as a significantly higher cash flow drain.

19. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Do all banks take into account the credit card limits ?
    The reason why is the NAB did not discuss this matter at all on my last loan
    OR do they only bring this issue up if you are close to the limit of borrowing
    Ps I have a $300k limit ...frequently used to the limit but always fully paid on due date

20. Harry30

Wow, how did you manage to get a $300k credit card limit? Just curious!