Canberra sub 450k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by eyespy1, 3rd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. eyespy1

eyespy1 Well-Known Member

So Canberra house prices increased last year and canberra itself has had very flat growth for a while now. I like Canberra bc average wage is good, low vacancy rates, low stamp duty but unfortunately there is land tax.
    Where would you recommend for a sub 450k property ? I understand there is oversupply of apartments so I'm concentrating on houses. But most areas in act are quite expensive already.....so sub 450k only leaves the outer skirts. Ive seen houses in Macgregor for that price range.....modern but small blocks. What do you think of this area ?

Or what about the gunghalin area where the light rail is proposed for ?
    Also I am amazed at how expensive your house and land packages are........they start at about 600k and they are outer skirt areas.
    Opinions appreciated.

blackrocky likes this.
  2. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

Dunlop in West Belconnen. Won't be flash, but you will get a decent 3 bedroom house if you look hard enough.

3. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

yeh 450k doesnt go too far these days. better off spending a bit more and buying closer in. im surprised you can get a house and land package for 600k...i though most of these land releases were closer to 800k

i've got a vested interest but my pick would be evatt. can still pick up a property here and there for under 450k (maybe add 20k for new kitchen etc). eg this or this. evatt not too far from the new hospital, also calvary hospital in bruce where there is a large new private hospital due to finish in July. next to mckellar with a lot higher median, and then Lawson where i assume median would be 800k+. could get the odd one in higgins or latham, and definitely outer belco etc but better off close to the more exxy north areas as possible.

failing that its down south kambah and further

Last edited: 4th Feb, 2017
    blackrocky likes this.
  4. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

you can get something reasonable in Dunlop under 450, however i wouldnt recommend.

Ive had very little growth on mine in the 6 years ive owned it.

Better options out there in my opinion

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Aren't you selling out of Canberra?

6. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

@Nemo30 I have owned property in Dunlop for the roughly the same time as you too. It has not done much but the last 12 months has been good. Received a very good valuation recently. But 6 years in some ways is too short a timeframe. The last 15 years has been stellar for Dunlop and if you had bought it in early 2000s, you would be very happy right now, as my neighbours are.

If you have access to more cash, sure buy closer. But at $450k, the OP will be up against it. Even in Dunlop.

7. eyespy1

eyespy1 Well-Known Member

Given the low growth that Canberra has had, do you think it's on its way back up ? One year of growth, what do you see for the next few years ?

8. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Sash i sold properties in Canberra which i owned with my ex husband. I also have other properties which Im not selling.

9. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Ive owned properties in Dunlop since 2001. First few years were good as with any part of Australia at the time. My ppor i bought in 2005 and sold in 2016 went up less than 150k during that time. Another property in Dunlop i bought in 2011 and sold last year I made a loss on after buying and selling taken into consideration. I still own in Dunlop, i love the suburb.

orangestreet likes this.
  10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

OK....must have misunderstood.....Canberra houses are doing well...