Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Canberra (or Sydney!) builder for wall removal

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mcarthur, 16th Jul, 2015.

1. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a Canberra builder contact to remove a load bearing wall and put up a 5.5m UB?
    Engineering is done, piers have been reinforced accordingly, 200UB25 bought and onsite.
    I just need someone who will put the damn thing up into the ceiling of a cut - not truss - roof.

The chippy/builder I have had working isn't comfortable putting it in the roof and connecting the bearers and struts - they will only do it under the ceiling not above it.

I should say I've gone through 4 attempts to get a builder here already from friends and contacts: each was given three chances to turn up at their preferred time when they promised to over the phone. 3 x 3 = 9 noshows!
    I'm happy with the current chippy/builder, but just need someone who'll put the damn thing into the roof!

I'd even consider paying a trustworthy Sydney or other builder to come and do it!

Anyone?

2. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Builder's licensing is a state matter. A nsw builder cannot work in the ACT unless they hold an ACT building licence.

3. mcarthur

True, but in this case there's no DA or BA needed, so no builder "assigned". Hope this means the rules are bent :)

4. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

No. This is structural work. Demo of internal wall possibly requires a DA as it is structural.

5. mcarthur

No. It doesn't.
    Love to see your proof.
    You can talk to ACTPLA and get something written like I have if you prefer.

The plan does have to be sent to ACTPLA afterwards for their files.
    I keep engineers report on house file. No need for certifier (ie BA).

Having said all that, I'll get a certifier in anyway for my satisfaction. Either way, I'm still hoping no ACT builders licence is needed...

...and do you know a good builder?!?

Last edited: 16th Jul, 2015
  6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

7. mcarthur

Thanks Jamie. It's small in that it's about 1.5-2 days work, but certainly is big in that I'd prefer the roof to stay up :)
    Good idea about HI pages - I'll do that.