ACT canberra general

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by S1mon, 22nd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with it? Going to check it out tomorrow. It's so darn close to Mawson Primary...

2. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is much wrong with it all considering Mawson isn't a cheap suburb and it's something different with potential.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I reckon Tuggeranong and Outer North pics are interchangeable.

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm here now! Your wealthy northern cousin from Sydney has arrived. ;)

5. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

cheers Gockie, ill keep an eye out for you

6. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Newbie question - do I ended up paying for the vendor's building and energy reports at settlement?

Any B&P and conveyancer/solicitor recommendations preferably on the south side? Thanks :)

7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Yep - you reimburse for building/pest/energy reports at settlement.

I don't have a specific recommendation southside - but can recommend Shane Angove in Dickson Absolute Conveyancing | Conveyancing Solicitor Canberra Tell him Jamie sent you - he might charge you double. Joking :) He's very good.

Cheers

Jamie

8. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

" For the accommodation of all these functions, practically only the best will do."

Griffith, Kingston, Narrabundah, Deakin, Red Hill are all Inner South. Don't think you can really refer to the original houses built there, many of which still exist, as 'only the best'.

MTR likes this.
  9. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

What I mean as 'only the best will do' are that the accommodations have to be suited for these functionaries, eg embassies, diplomats residences. There are huge blocks in these suburbs suitable for the big residences required for hosting functions, housing guests, even security posts They are found in Red Hill, Yarralumla, O'Malley, Deakin, Garran, Hughes, etc.

Of course, residences are not universally high. There are exceptions in all things.

10. BigKahuna

I agree with you in relation to Forrest, but that is the only suburb in the Inner South which has, for the most part, huge blocks and large residences. The same cannot be said for Red Hill. Sure, there's Vancouver, Torres and Moresby, on the Forrest side of. Mugga Way. There are still plenty of older houses built for lowly public servants even at the top end of La Perouse. Deakin--again, has some big blocks towards Forrest, near Girls Grammar. But they are in the minority. You'd be stretching it to call O'Malley "Inner South"; it's in the Woden area--same goes for Garran and Hughes. There are no embassies, diplomats residences in most of the suburbs you mention.

When accommodation for public servants was built, the higher echelons were housed in Forrest. The rest of them got duplexes or small houses in Griffith, Kingston, Red Hill, and later on a few in Narrabundah. They were hardly 'exceptional'. Yes, most had big blocks because people were growing their own vegetables in the Depression. I can tell you--having lived for nearly 30 years in the Inner South--that most housing here was not 'only the best'.

You are confusing the whole Inner South with Forrest with places like Calthorpe's House.

11. Francesco

I mentioned inner south in the context of where the pivot of high value houses are. Big blocks and land value due to proximity to core infrastructure, schools and seats of government reasonably has a role to play in the value of the homes. So, bigger blocks were mentioned. They naturally attract foreign embassies to acquire accommodation for their diplomats too, which show case the nations they represent, hence 'only the best will do'. Of course, planned allocation of land for the foreign embassy by the federal government has a lot to do with it.

While there are many houses that cannot be called 'the best'. There certainly many are. When the most expensive suburbs in Canberra are mentioned, inner south suburbs are mentioned at the top of the list: Yarralumla, Red Hill, Forrest, Griffith.

Most of the suburbs I mentioned do not have diplomat residences or embassies? Surely, you jest!

Yarralumla - most embassies, GG residence

O'Malley - spread out of embassies, eg Iran, including in the extension of the suburb closer to Mt Mugga Mugga where there are new $m houses, Vietnam, especially IMO from the middle east.

Garran- some diplomatic residence, especially next to Red Hill, where a huge residence IMO is owned by a middle eastern country.

Deakin - official residence of the PM when in Canberra, embassy of Cambodia, High Com of Vanuatu, etc

Red Hill - embassy of Lebanon, Ethiopia, residences of many diplomats especially along Mugga Drive, 'millionaires mile'. Flags of their nations are hoisted on days of importance to their countries. One owned by Singapore is notable, probably there is a plague at the gate.

Hughes - embassy of Hungary, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The above examples are just of publicly available identification of official accommodation. The accommodation of their diplomats are generally not included.

Many journalists do not have problems including Red Hill when mentioning the inner south. Actually, Red Hill is about the same distance from Lake Burley Griffin as Garran. Hughes is probably closer to the Lake than Red Hill. It is stretching to call O'Malley inner - I agree, so is Garran, a suburb next to it, across Hindmarsh Drive. Throwing in the term inner South is just peripheral to my proposition that the pivot of residential high prices is weighed towards the South and one of the major reason IMO is the inherent support of show case houses of foreign nations.

I have very little interest in Calthorpe House so there is little chance of confusing my generalised proposition with any individual heritage house. I merely walk around the suburbs and look at houses and into the backyards. I have lived about 30 years in Canberra, north, south and inner south.

Pentanol likes this.
  12. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wanna go near it :eek:

Azazel likes this.
  13. BigKahuna

Even Allhomes doesn't include Garran and Hughes in the South, let alone Inner South. South Canberra Real Estate for Sale | allhomes
    Yes, I should have said 'embassies and ambassadors' residences'. There is one embassy in Hughes; none in Garran. The bulk of the embassies are in Yarralumla. File:Embassies in Yarralumla, Canberra, Australia.PNG - Wikimedia Commons
    Diplomats and diplomatic staff are spread throughout Canberra; there's no predominance in the Inner South. In fact, the US refuses to place any of its diplomats or diplomatic staff in Narrabundah, Kingston, Red Hill and Griffith. That's most of the Inner South. They'll put them in Yarralumla, Forrest or further out.

14. Francesco

Ha Ha, good one! It is a delight to visit the country, though.

15. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Could anyone provide me an update on what's happening in Weston creek?
    Allhomes only has two houses listed for Duffy - both at the exy end of the scale and very little for the creek as a district under 500k

16. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Who and how do they determine the land value down here?

Still trying to understand how can that small block of land in Mawson is worth $371k UV and some of those $600k places in Crace the UV is a shade under $300k.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if they advertised that.
    How do you find out where they are?

18. BigKahuna

The embassy is in Yarralumla. The lucky diplomatic staff are housed in Forrest or Yarralumla. The rest are housed further afield. Those suburbs where security cannot be ensured or with higher than average crime rates are no-go areas.

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

If they were in Sydney they would need those big wall/fences around every staff house. If they are that easy to find they might just need them there too.

20. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Canberra only going up because of Mr Fluffy asbestos houses.

The best thing in Canberra is seeing it in your rear view mirror leaving northborne Avenue to the federal highway

*ducks*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.