Can you sell of the plan when building a duplex?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Something_Wrong, 29th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

We are starting on our duplex build and while the aim is to keep both and rent them out, we have thought of selling one to be able to purchase another block of land with duplex potential.

So my question is

Can we sell one of the duplex's before completion with the correct legal contracts ect?

Option 1:
    is they get what we decide within reason

Option 2:
    They can pick any upgrades they would like, as long as its prior to construction or at best they can change paint colours to suit, obviously this does add a extra layer of difficulty as they are emotionally attached and can add $$ to the total build cost which would need to locked in early.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yes, you can.

I suggest you don't let the buyer change anything - they'll drive you insane. UNLESS you have a small selection they can choose from and if it varies from that, or changes mid-build, there are cost penalties and extensions of time built into the contract.

Cactus and Something_Wrong like this.
  3. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Thanks

Yeah after the post i though buggar letting them do any changes, especially to the design or layout, we will be adding the usual extra GPOs, alarm wiring and internet points, so that will be factored in.

possibly letting them chose paint colours and tile, from the builders and our selection only and if it wasn't too hideous or out there, then our rental side would be done the same colours, since we are not living in it.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Generally you would be charged a variation fee by your builder for things which are changed after prestart as you know and it would get really messy as the building contract is with you not them.
    I would leave it as is. I'm sure that what you have chosen is probably quite nuetral and innoffensive.
    If you feel during the sale process that you have an offer from someone but it hinges on something being changed then revisit the decision. You may come to an arrangement where you get a quote from the builder for the requested variation and build it into the sale price. Ie they request at that the appliances be upgraded to Miele and you request from the builder a quote and it's $4000 +$400 variation fee. So the price on the Offer and Acceptance goes up by $4400. Beware of people that want things taken out of the contract as there is still a variation fee charged for those items being removed as well.