Can you really retire from investing in property in under 15 years?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by John Ferguson, 4th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

he has a formular and he has shared this on PC just re read

2. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed reading your post! Well done mate! The biggest advantage of earning pre-tax is just how many reasonable business expenses you can now have that you wouldn't have had before. For example using your car for work, purchasing a laptop, some events/dinners/etc that are done with the intent to promote business and large chunks of particular trips. It can feel like a free 30% discount sometimes..

Fully agree with you. While property may be used as a vehicle to create wealth, I'd rather use it as a place to "park your wealth" and to preserve it. Leaving upside available for yourself is always a good thing of course, for example dev/reno potential.

Not a super experienced investor or anything.. just my 2c

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

At the moment yes...but also found them on existing houses ...most were in the low to mid sixes...though the occasional one at 6.8%....

Gypsyblood, Perthguy and Beano like this.
  4. GetRIDof5CENTpiece

GetRIDof5CENTpiece Well-Known Member

that's brilliant buddy - so jealous.
    I need to get on with chasing yields... and if growth accompanies... so be it.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

no need to be jealous... you can achieve the same, piggy back, rinse and repeat:)

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

CG in Australia is an issue now. The major Cities seem to be coming to the end of the boom cycle. Let's say 2017 is the peak... which capital will be the first to boom after that?

NHG, SOULFLY3 and MTR like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

not seeing
    not seeing any markets in Australia that I would personally jump in, I will let you know if I change my mind. As you know I will only jump in when stocks significantly reduce
    This is happening in Atlanta, long way from home:)

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Great to read this Scott. It is similar to my story.

In my experience every business has opportunity but it takes insight and skill to make it work.

To date the only way to generate real wealth is to run a business and then find leverage so it is not dependent on you. The property investments are great; but they will keep you wealthy, not make you wealthy.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Actually other way around...in Australia property investments keep you wealthy...a lot of businesses come and go.

Not many businesses can run themselves...sure a few owners have succeeded in not being controlled by their businesses but a large majority are tied to their businesses.

10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

There are risks with the high yield chasing ...just be aware of them ...low net yields of 6pc are pretty safe ...a good mix of low (6pc) and 10pc net is a good balance

Perthguy likes this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep....very high yields indicated properties in secondary locations - i.e. regionals.

My preference is the 5 larger cities and cities like Newcastle, Geelong, Wollongong which feed off larger cities like Sydney and Melbourne.

Ole saying people over estimate what can be done in 1years but under estimate what can be done in 10 years.....message in that...

jimmy likes this.
  12. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Wise words ...I quite agree with this
    I suspect not many investors make real income from pure real estate start to finish investments ...it is business that creates real income.

Ross Forrester likes this.
  13. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Very true ...just stick with it ...it will not happen overnight but it will happen

14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...but you also need to buy reasonable quality assets....the longer you hold the luckier you get principle....

Observer, Perthguy and MTR like this.
  15. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yup ...better to buy quality at a good price than rubbish at a bargain price

MTR likes this.