Can you guys please help rejig my floorplan

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 1st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Too hard truong dont think its not big enough

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks Westminster - yes that would be possible but of late council are veto-ing any form of construction in front of the existing building line.

Didnt actually notice this photo. Yes that looks great. Pity the neighbours (student renters) get a perfect vantage point into our side drive from their double storey house a mere few feet away - otherwise def a great idea and one I've entertained before.
    Not sure how where you're going with it though in terms of more space though.

I've measured the house end to end and its basically 110sqm...for a 4 bedder. It's a thankless task trying to make things work when one's wrking with so little space for the requirements. I think 4 bedders tend to start at around 150 sqm or so?

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I meant 'dont think its big enough'. Part of the problem I've got is keeping the right proportions between the living areas and bedrooms. Been studying other 3/4 bedroom houses inner syd and the smallest of them squeeze a living/dining and kitchen in 45 sqm. The space we have at the rear, net of the bathroom and laundry (if kept at rear), is approx 34 sqm. Big diff.

By eliminating the bathroom and laundry at the rear, I gain 5sqm or so but also introduce a lot of $$ to the reno...some would say wasted $$$ given there's a newish bathroom that I'm considering tearing down.

Maybe I'm just asking too much, I don't know - am mentally exhausted.

Would be good to hear from some of the architects on the forum. Pro buono sadly :p

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Updated floorplan attached

Attached Files:

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm trying to remember where I was going with the photo :)
    I think it was remove the garage then you could have natural light in the master bedroom which then allowed you to enclose the sunroom and put an ensuite there.

But as you say, if the council won't allow a car bay at the front then it may be a no go

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

You are spot on. That is simply too small. I live in a small 3x2 house which is around 130sqm. @Westminster has a 3x2 apartment on the market which is about the same I think. I don't recall the exact floor area but its more than 110sqm.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's a lot of hallway.
    Is the attic space included in your estimation of the size?

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

No it isn't - 110 sqm is the amount of full head height habitable space. The attic adds another 35 sqm or so - half of it you have to start bending your torso :eek:

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Its def tight Perthguy BUT relatively small bedrooms, living spaces are de rigueur in inner city Sydney.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Perthguy

With the attic, it should be doable.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Am meeting an architect at the property next week to see if they can attack the problem from a completely different angle - I'd be very pleasantly surprised if they can come up with something totally left field that works.

Failing that, what I've come up with is as per the current floorplan downstairs EXCEPT that I'll shift the laundry into the garage so its sight unseen, lint and all (wife hates it in the kitchen plus its a flooding risk).

That gives us a decent sized U-shaped kitchen in the rear as well as a net 24 sqm (6x4) combined living/dining area.

I'll add more skylights/roof windows in the attic and use them as a second living area (home theatre/man cave;)) and study.

The main drawback with this config is:
    1) an external laundry
    2) a kitchen which is skylit but windowless
    3) the second bathroom/toilet opening up directly to a TV/living area

Anyone think this is a crap idea? This is by far the most cost effective option as I'm not moving walls, plumbing etc.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Nope. I think it's a great idea! :)

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Can you do anything like adding dormer windows up there to make it a usable space? Could make a bedroom plus storage, maybe another bathroom.

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I can't LEGALLY unless I do a full blown extension via council or PC etc. Rather not to be honest.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Which state is it in?
    Some states you can pretty much do what you want with your bathroom.

16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

NSW

17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I could live with an external laundry, and even a skylit kitchen, but the toilet off the main living area would be a real turnoff. Just imagine, guests over and enjoying dinner, then the embarrassment of someone having to use the toilet..... Maybe turn up the music??
    Marg

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

We have 2 toilets /bathrooms in the house - they can use the one on the hallway whilst the one facing the living can be for our use when guests aren't over.

The reason I'm leaving the kitchen where it is, with the other cons you mentioned, is because if we properly extend the property, the kitchen will probably be situated where it currently is anyway. Plus its the least costly option.

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

And pass around the nose plugs.
    I would prefer it a bit further away as well.