Can you guys please help rejig my floorplan

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 1st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hi All

been wasting countless hours trying to reconfigure the floorplan of the property we're moving into but I keep running into the same issues. I know some of you are particularly good at this, especially the forumites who have the necessary architectural background.

Basically the challenge/constraints are:

- I want to maintain the house as a 4x2. It was already extended 4 yrs ago but the focus was cramming as many students into the property. Now we have to move into it:( Whilst I'm open to having more windows or sliding doors I don't want to further extend the property.

- I need the semi-open plan section at the rear of the property ie where the kitchen and family is, to be one large room that fits in a LARGER kitchen + island that has at least a window, dining and casual living /TV room.
    In my mind, that means getting rid of the 2nd bathroom and laundry that's there currently.

But if do that, where do I put the 2nd bathroom and laundry elsewhere in the house? Plus, it would be a waste of dollars to dismantle a perfectly functioning new bathroom and laundry (these were built 4 yrs ago remember).

Hopefully the diagram doesn't confuse anyone as its the original architectural plans.

Help pleease!

Attached Files:

2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Perhaps you could have a skylight instead of window?

3. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Is there any scope for using the space at the rear of the (enclosed) carport?
    Alongside the house?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you remove the wall between the "new" kitchen and the back living and dining area? Would that make it open enough?

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Tx Jacqui yes I can but not sure how that's going to solve the problem

Thanks RB I can but that constitutes an expensive side extension, plus the windows of the bedrooms are all alongside the house

I can Wylie (after consulting a structural engineer). Basically after removing the wall in question and getting rid of the laundry and back bathroom, we're left with 6x6m which is pretty compact considering we want to fit a kitchen, dining table and sofa plus TV.

I think its obvious to me that if we stick to the layout I'm thinking of I have to find a home for the 2nd bathroom and laundry somewhere else in the house. But I don't know where.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Can you build an ensuite bathroom in the sunroom off the front bedroom?
    Incorporate a small cupboard laundry in the new kitchen?
    Marg

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yes Marg I can and have contemplated this scenario before. The only issue is that the only window to the front master is in that sunroom. It would have to be a really tiny bathroom tucked to the side...unless I reposition the front window of the house to one side as well. That could possibly work?

Marg4000 likes this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You could put a skylight in the master bedroom, and turn the front sunroom into an ensuite and small wardrobe or study/wardrobe. If it was my house, I would keep the new bathroom and extend the kitchen into the laundry, and use the back extension as one living room/dining room. We have an open plan area with two living rooms and we really only ever use one of the areas to dump the shopping/mail when we come inside.

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks Angel - that master would be pretty depressing and hot in summer without any natural airflow. Hence I'd prefer not to skylight it only. This is an area where the median house price is $1.6m so don't really want to have a less than ideal layout (if I can help it).

Last edited: 1st Aug, 2016
  10. wylie

If you leave the second bathroom and laundry where they are and move the kitchen to sit along the same wall that the bathroom sits on (the 4m section), and add an island, then the remaining space would feel much more open. The laundry still creates an air-lock between living area and bathroom but you could stack washer and dryer on the left hand side and use the right hand side to push a fridge into so it doesn't stick out into the kitchen.

bwklau and Perthguy like this.
  11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK Wylie if I understand you correctly, you're saying remove the wall between the kitchen and living, then on one side of the laundry (LHS), stack a washing machine and dryer, and on the other side wedge a fridge that faces into the living room? That might work, except I'm not sure where to put the laundry tub. Aaargh!

Also what would you put in right in front front of the laundry where the kitchen is as there's a bit of space there?

12. wylie

That space in front of the laundry would become part of the big kitchen, dining, living area.

If you move the laundry wall out by 300mm that would fit washer and dryer stacked plus a skinny tub beside it and the "fridge" part on the other side could then fit a slide out or skinny pantry.

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yes, what Wylie suggests moving the kitchen. You can increase the storage capacity of the new kitchen by adding some narrow shelving in the laundry. 4 metres is a good size kitchen. I totally understand about the airflow at the front :)

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks all, will contemplate these 2 scenarios ie ensuite in master vs keep bathroom at the back. I've considered these alternatives in some guise many times before. However, if anyone has a very left field idea, would love to hear it.

15. wylie

The only other thing I thought about was creeping the walls for the two bedrooms closest to the kitchen so that they are slightly narrower. They look like the are about 4m x 4m now?

If you move those walls so each bedroom is 4m x 3m that gives you two metres between the bedrooms and the new bathroom, but that doesn't really help much because of the second bathroom being plonked where it is.

If you could do this without making the bedrooms too small, you could then put a european laundry between the last bedroom and the new bathroom, along the back wall behind doors. Put the kitchen along the same back wall on the other side of the bathroom and that gives you back what is now taken up by the laundry.

Downside is you lose the airlock between bathroom and living area. It is also a lot more fiddling about moving two more walls, flooring, ceilings, window placement (?) etc.

16. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Can I ask what's the reasoning behind keeping the 4x2 configuration? Is it for family space (3 kids?) or is it to try and preserve "value" of a 4x2 vs 3x2? If this is a long-term residence, then not having the space you need will drive you crazy.

Why does the kitchen need to be larger? A redesign including a wall knock-down could make it more functional (he says without knowing what's already there)

17. wylie

@Phase2 makes a good point. What about moving the kitchen to the back on the same wall as the second bathroom, putting big sliding doors on the fourth bedroom so that it can be a bedroom or a media room, or chill out space.

Four bedrooms often means enough people living there to want a second living area.

We've found for rentals that adding a bedroom without having a second living area is not what the renters are looking for. You say this is for a PPOR I think? What do you need more, the fourth bedroom, or a separate living space?

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Wylie I didn't want to confuse all of you but those plans are slightly outdated. I can't tamper with the size of the bedrooms because in bedroom 3 off the hallway resides a staircase which leads to (an unapproved) attic conversion.

The minimum kitchen length that we think we need whether its U, L shaped or island is a total of 9m. I thought I'd include a few photos to help all of you visualise. Shows the front of the house, the master/sunroom, hallway, the rear of the prop, the stairs to attic/cannibalising part of bedroom 3 and the attic itself. As you can see its not a fantastic reno - it was meant to be a forever IP but now that we're moving in, have become a little more fastidious.

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

For now it doesn't have to be a 4 bedder and we can use bedroom 4 as a 2nd living but as the kids grow up, we'll need 4 and aim to have all the bedrooms downstairs. I just threw a spanner in the works showing the relatively steep, but usable attic that's there currently. What I had planned to do was use the attic for a 2nd living/TV room.

The fcus though was reconfiguring the bottom. The attic is pretty straightforward (to me) in terms of use.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2016
  20. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

Could you put the "new bedroom" to where the family room is?
    You could make the bedroom a smaller, keep the bathroom and laundry, and utilise the hallway space as it would become apart of your living area.
    Would have to rejig Windows a little, and it may not open to the outside as good as it currently does, but would still be open plan to the outside (just longer and skinnier plus could gain you up to 6sqm of living area.