Can you give me a very rough estimate of what this would cost?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Michael Davis, 12th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Michael Davis

Michael Davis Member

Hi there,

First home buyer on the Central Coast NSW looking to buy a place that we can extend down the track. Have found an option, but I have zero experience and knowledge on extensions and renovations. I was wondering if anyone out there could have a crack at a rough estimate of cost of the attached possible changes. Very rough, and no serious detail at all. I know the answer will begin with 'depends', and that's OK. I just need something to go off from people who've got some knowledge.
    -Large (ish) new kitchen (on the cheaper side)
    -new position of laundry
    -open plan living/dining
    -cheap flooring options
    -new bedroom from laundry extended out

House is raised up on joists and bearers.

I was thinking 70k. Any guesses to the nearest 10k would be appreciated. Even to the nearest 20k!

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

If you're going to make it a 4 bedder, you need 2 x bathrooms and possibly 2 x car so it becomes a 4,2,2,
    You're moving the roof line too - colorbond or tile? Too many unknowns to quote. Load bearing walls? Hardiplank or timber or brick?

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hey Michael, who not just go for a 4 bedroom house?
    That looks like a lot of work for not much benefit.
    Is there an option for raising it up and building underneath?

4. Michael Davis

Michael Davis Member

We would have the option of adding an ensuite to the main (where current walk-in-robe/porch area is), so could make it 2 bathrooms. Not a priority early though.
    Buying a 3 bed at this stage in a particular suburb to send our kids to a particular public school. Can't afford the 4 bed place in this suburb at the moment, but will want it down the track with pay rises and a growing family. Plus we really like a few aspects of the place (e.g. street, character, block size etc), and might want to turn it into a 15 yr PPOR.
    I don't think there would be an option for raising up.
    Alan - brick and tile place. Do you think my 70k seems crazy?

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

$70K might not be enough especially with tradies cashing in on the renovation boom. But the only way to know for sure is to get 3 x quotes.

6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @Michael Davis

Just because you "can" renovate, doesn't necessarily mean you "should". If you can get a 4bedder in the first place it'd be much easier since you can borrow a large chunk of the whole purchase (eg 90%) rather than have to find a big pile of cash for an extension later on (which council may not approve..... it's speculatory.)

7. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Your best estimate x2

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I think you've over complicated it a bit for little gain, plus at a premium cost.

Look at closing in the garage to be the main bed with wir and ensuite, plumbing should be OK if you put ens near the kitchen to tap into. That gives you the 4x2 .

Re jig the kitchen by removing the linen closet and making a bigger kitchen. Then if you want more just do an out door dining alfresco thing the new houses have off the side or extend the rear.

Assuming garage is enclosed.
    New flooring, bathroom, wir, gyprock 20k possibly.
    Alfresco 5-15k