can you add to list of benefits of living in australia or usa please ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by justine77, 15th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lizzie and balwoges like this.
  2. random

random Well-Known Member

But wth has America even got to do with Australia anyway why do you wanna compare those two of all places op ?
    They're totally different countries and Australias just a tiny country backward town compared to something like the US anyway.
    And mind you , backward is a good thing these days , bar in gw and things like that. Be damned if l know why Australian pm's insist on trying to be little big men big shots in world eyes. We should be proud and thankful we're away from it all over here l reckon , like nz is.

Last edited: 15th May, 2020
    wylie likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We loved some things. The Frick Collection, Lower East Side Tenement Museum, The Met, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. And we loved the timber water tanks on top of the buildings in the city and learned the story of them from a red bus tour guide. I thought they were an old thing, but not so...

NYC water towers: History, use, and infrastructure | 6sqft

tenement museum

George Smiley and The Y-man like this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Blessed to have many friends and biz associates in USA

Been to most east and western states, expect the middle = tornado valley

Many Many places I could live there and have a great life

ta
    rolf

MTR likes this.
  5. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah right , why haven't you then just wondering ?

6. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Australia has less class discrimination. When I go to the the US, the poor, tradies, anyone in the service industry.... get treated very poorly by the snobby upper and middle class. This is exacerbated by having to pay for the basics, like medical, schooling etc. Our top universities are public (yes there are fees, but nothing astronomical).

Propagate and Lizzie like this.
  7. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

It’s superior because of how universities are ranked. This is based on things like many Nobel laureates present, research funding obtained, research articles are published etc. Unfortunately, Australia just don’t invest in fundamental research. Here research is focused on what will get more votes.
    That being said, our undergraduate degrees are superior to the US and most graduates can get a job. In the US, you mostly have to do 2 degrees at least. The first degree goes over the basics. e.g. maths which would would learn here in year 11 and 12. I know this because I did part of my studies in the US.
    I won’t even mention the difference in fees..

HUGH72, Propagate and Lizzie like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My daughter also did part of her studies in US, I know about the fees
    Great experience though

Shazz@ likes this.
  9. wylie

I'd be interested to know what sort of fees they have. Do they have HELP debt as we do here? Or is it paid up front? Sounds from another post that they do end up with a debt.

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Australia has 12,000 sensational beaches .... more than any other country in the world. We also have some of the most spectacular landscapes that we take for granted ... all within a short drive of our cosmopolitan cities

Shazz@ and random like this.
  11. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Disclaimer, this is my experience from 10 years ago. And I will be referring to the cost of an undergrad science degree (price will vary depending on degree and whether it’s post grad or undergraduate studies). I didn’t pay anything, as I went on a scholarship, but I know the figures as I asked a few of my class mates.

If you go to a ‘state university’ (public), the yearly tuition fee was ~ $8k if you lived in the State. If you were from out of state, the annual fee was ~$15k, plus there were rules about living on campus for the first year ($$$ I don’t know the fee). Students can get loans, but it wasn’t the same as our HECS, where it was automatic. For most students, parents would pay from their ‘college fund’ which they would of set up when the child was born.
    For ‘private’ universities, it didn’t matter if you were in state or out of state. Fees would be the same, but they were ~5 x more.

Edit- found this link after the post
    Average Cost of College in America

Last edited: 15th May, 2020
    wylie and datto like this.
  12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If we had less wages and paid less tax, then there'd be no money left after our various pollies had their junkets, claimed costs and took their exorbitant wages :mad:

Clearly talking about AUSTRALIA :cool:
    Love fluffy yellow new born chick's :p

datto likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Google "The love Australia project" ... drool

Stoffo likes this.
  14. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Hard to find healthy meals in the US when you are out and about. Even a salad comes with excessive amounts of dressing where you may as well eat a Big Mac.
    Very large portion sizes, bottom less soft drinks, everything is processed. In the cities not surrounded by ocean, the seafood isn’t fresh.

vbplease, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Plenty of unhealthy options, fast food, deep fried rubbish.... yuk

But also great healthy options, even in southern States. Also great health shops and markets

I was gobsmacked some restaurants include calories of each meals. We do this too but not at fine dine restaurants??

Last edited: 16th May, 2020
  16. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well, but I would add that the US has a more diverse landscape where the population aren’t cramped into a few cities on the edge of a continent. That said I think for most people the quality of life in Australia is superior.

Lizzie likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

US has home depot, this is Bunnings on steroids

18. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

That's a big one for me. The population density in the US is awesome, and there are numerous self sufficient cities that are easily accessible. Australia is pretty limited in that respect.

MTR likes this.
  19. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Another thing I hate about the US.. tipping !
    Happy to do it at restaurants, because the service usually better than what you get in Australia, but constantly having to tip taxi drivers, someone holding a door open, hairdressers, etc etc.. very annoying.

lamecrocs and Lizzie like this.
  20. wylie

I don't mind tipping, but I hate that I have no real clue if I'm undertipping or overtipping. It is just foreign to us. I think I tend to overtip rather than be embarrassed by undertipping.