Can the tenant let other people live in the property?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Kickstart, 18th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kickstart

Kickstart Active Member

I rent my apartment to a tenant who is a student,it’s on the lease the occupant is one adult.PM emailed me yesterday said the tenant wanna go back overseas and his lease won’t expire until Jianista next year ,so he already let his friends living in the apartment and his friends will start paying the rent.Does he have the right just handle the keys to his friends?the tenant didn’t say anything about it only the day before he left Australia and we know nothing about his friends.No reference check ,no financial statement.I’m not very comfortable about this,how should I handle this?thanks

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What did your PM say? What are you paying them for?

spludgey and Thomacino like this.
  3. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

It is common for students to be sharing the place with friends/strangers, i.e. 2 bedroom with 2 adults or an adult and couple (3 adults).

The legal responsibility lies with the head tenant, who in basic understanding thinks paying the rent and keeping the unit tidy is the only responsibility. Much more involved.. but for simplicity sake..

I've been on both sides of the fence in my younger years and now as the owner.
    As the owner, I would expect the PM to be on top of things when routine inspections were carried out, and question why there are 2 or 3 beds when only 1 person is on the lease, if the owner permitted 3 adults to reside, then not an issue as all parties are on the same page.

As for handing the responsibility ensure the PM quality checks the incoming tenant, finances etc and condition of the unit prior to the tenant change. I can't stress the importance of this as the incoming tenant is assuming the condition as acceptable.

Tyla likes this.
  4. Kickstart

Kickstart Active Member

PM just forwarded the tenant’s email to me and was asking me what I would like to doI guess I paid him for just collect the rent

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Your PM should be checking the new tenant's details, but sounds like he only found out after the fact. He still should be doing those checks I would think. He should be advising you, not just asking what you want to do.

Perp, Kickstart and Tyla like this.
  6. Kickstart

Kickstart Active Member

Thanks for your reply
    My PM run the inspection yearly .this tenant just moved in for three month and he never told us he let his friends living in there with him.So basically the tenant can just let anyone live in that apartment?I called my PM he said we can’t evict the tenant just because he let others living there.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How many bedrooms? And even if you can't (or probably don't want to) evict this "new" tenant, your PM should be telling you what he plans to do to check this new tenant out, get him on the lease, get some bond from him so he has something other than "some random bloke is now living there".

Your PM should be telling you how he/she will handle this, not asking you what you want to do.

Last edited: 18th Nov, 2020
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Don't know how it works where your IP is, but here in Melb, the extra person needs to go on the lease - the PM manages these (as there is issues where the bond is returned etc).

The Y-man

Kickstart likes this.
  9. Kickstart

Kickstart Active Member

Thanks.it’s a one bedroom apartment.I talked to my PM today,I told him to ask other people to leave but we wouldn’t know if the tenant let his friends living in there again later.I’m not happy about how he handle this,didn’t give me any suggestions just keep forwarding the tenants email and ask me what to do

Tom Rivera likes this.
  10. Kickstart

Kickstart Active Member

Thanks.it’s in Sydney.that’s what I thought ,whoever lives in the property needs go on the lease.It’s on the lease only one adult allowed living there.

11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

The PM needs to do reference checks on every person living in the property who is not current a leaseholder. They are currently in (serious) breach of the agreement, so there's some incentive to cooperate.

I also agree, why would the PM ask you what you want to do? This is a very clear process. They should have sent you an FYI email to let you know what had happened and advise that they were in the process of checking the new occupants, along with some information about what happens if the occupants fail to provide documentation or are unsatisfactory tenants.

Jacque likes this.
  12. Kickstart

Kickstart Active Member

Thanks Tom.The PM didn’t check other occupants ,so I’m correct the tenant has break the lease cause it’s on the lease only one adult.I told the PM to terminate the agency agreement and ask them move out,but PM said we couldn’t ask the tenant out just because he let other people stay.

13. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

What your PM has told you is absolute rubbish.

More people ordinarily living at the unit than is allowed as per the lease is a clear breach of the lease.

What the hell is your PM doing? Does s/he know what s/he is doing? I'd escalate to the director/principal of the business and hopefully s/he has some sort of clue about managing tenancies.

Last edited: 1st Dec, 2020
    AxeLy likes this.
  14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Why is the PM so against doing the usual reference checks on these people? This is such a straightforward process.

AxeLy and Michael Mitchell like this.
  15. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

This has been discussed many times previously.

Proving someone is living in a property as opposed to having someone staying at a property is very difficult.

AxeLy likes this.
  16. Just_A_Name

Just_A_Name Well-Known Member

Time to fire your PM and tell them whatever happen in this particular situation, they will be liable.

17. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

I had an issue with damage done to a property, because the tenant let the person into the home and this person was not on the lease, terry scheer would not cover the damages. Something to consider.

18. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Does it state on their PDS that people that are not on the lease aren't covered ?

19. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

The property manager is obviously incompetent, however, one can never be certain of the full story.

A tenant moving out is clear cut grounds for end of lease and it appears the tenant has advised the PM of their intending departure. It would appear that the onus is now on the PM to treat it as a break lease and act accordingly.

I read so many comments saying this and that and what the PM should or shouldn’t do, so I pose the following hypothetical situation to any PMs.

“There is someone staying in a property that is probably not on the lease. They could be friends or relatives visiting, couch surfing or they could even be longer term peoples living at the property. They are not necessarily causing a problem.”

So, Property Managers how do you establish that this is not a partner staying over, a friend visiting briefly or a person that is now living at the property. And, if you can actually establish that they are not a visitor how do you effectively evict such a person.

20. trustnoone

trustnoone Well-Known Member

Whats the fire rules for the place? A one bedroom apartment I imagine can only keep 2 people max for building fire safety? Depending on Strata as well, this may be against the building agreement they probably had to sign on entry?

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.