WA Can the council make me pay for power infrastructure upgrade

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Skinman, 11th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. icic

icic Well-Known Member

I haven't received that yet so perhaps the agent hasn't communicated with us about the letter or that it might be a different phases or not applied to our area ?
    Will let you know if that changes.

2. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

The Vic council website has that maps of the zones being covered there are 3 in total...I think there is a link earlier in the thread.

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

If a rental can you debt recycle this and use your loan to pay the $4000?

4. chooke

chooke Well-Known Member

Is there are reason why the entire $4,000 cannot be claimed as a tax deduction in the one year if paid upfront? I presume it can because the investor has no choice on the matter (like land tax).

5. APD1829

APD1829 New Member

Does anyone know for sure if the "service charge" as imposed by the council for underground power is definitely deductible - either as an expense or depreciated as capital works? Or not at all?

This old ATO ruling seems to indicate that it ISN'T deductible as capital works because you don't own the cables and most of it isn't on your land. https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/document?docid=AID/AID2003879/00001

The good news is that City of Vic Park is allowing interest free 7 year installments to pay for it.

6. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

Happened to me and the surge blew my ac units. Since they were about 4-5 years old I only got a smidge back from insurance after excess. I'm quite sure they had quite a bit more life in them than what insurance deemed was their asset life.