Can/should items like this be compensated for from tenant bond?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by JK200SX, 7th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

A tenant in one of my properties has left and I receive an email from the PM asking for my opinion on whether we should seek compensation for the damages (ie scuff marks, scratches on walls). The property was brand new prior to the tenancy, so there were no defects whatsoever. Attached are some photos. What are your opinions:

upload_2018-2-7_20-19-8.png

upload_2018-2-7_20-21-10.png

upload_2018-2-7_20-22-13.png

upload_2018-2-7_20-22-56.png

2. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

How long were they there for?

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

probably wear and tear. Might be worth a try though.

4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Disappointing yes, annoying but probably fair wear and tear IMO.
    Depends on the PM and tenant.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I say wear and tear. Is one of those inside a cupboard?

We've just had a tenant replace a (hollow core) bedroom door and arrange for it to be painted due to having somehow put an egg sized hole in it. That was unexpected, and we appreciated it.

And we had some damage (similar to your photos - but worse) on walls where they'd used removable picture hooks that removed the paint. They had been great tenants, and we needed to paint one (badly peeling) ceiling and chose at this changeover to replace some ugly light fittings seeing we were painting a ceiling anyway. With our painter being on site, we just got him to paint the kitchen where the damage was.

This is just something we would fix between tenancies.

6. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

It depends how long they were there and where those marks are but likely fair wear and tear

7. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I just had a similar problem, the property had been fully repainted at a cost of $3,750 when the tenants moved in 12 months ago. They had stuck plastic hooks all over the walls and where they had taken them down they had taken paint off. Their two small children had scratched walls and written on one.
    I went with my agent and he told them that the cost of the repainting of the damaged walls would have to come from the Bond. They agreed. The tenants have now moved and I have had the painter in and had the walls repaired. The cost was $690, which is to come from the Bond.
    I have put the townhouse on the market now, so it needed to be in good condition. I paid for the varnishing of the cupboards and stairs etc. Only the tenant damage came from the Bond.

S.T, Perthguy, Kassy and 1 other person like this.
  8. JK200SX

just on 1 year

9. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Seems like fair wear in tear. Mainly because it’s either in tight area (shelf or cupboard) and the joint levels. Unless it’s systematic (i.e in many places and obvious locations like middle of the wall) I wouldn’t bother.

10. JK200SX

Yes it is. Ok, lets say it is wear and tear... I can go look in all the cupboards in my house of 9 years and I wont find one such mark anywhere.

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

The joys of owning IPs..

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is the difference between tenants and owner occupiers though (generally).

Your PM wants your opinion on whether to try for some compensation. What does the PM think? Shouldn't he/she be advising you?

For me personally, I wouldn't ask for any compensation for this, especially inside a cupboard.

Terry_w likes this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is the paint in the IP a good quality wash and wear paint - like Dulux?

I ask, because the paint job on the skirting is rubbish so the paint used may be low quality too, with not enough coats.

I rented for years and it was common for a chair just lightly touching a wall to make a grey mark on the paint. Not a dent just a mark.

This was due to landlords using cheap, flat paint that marks easily.

Noobieboy, Perthguy and The Y-man like this.
  14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I never thought I was strict, but I'm surprised to see people saying wear and tear here. I would absolutely want this rectified.

The vast majority of those marks will come off the wall with magic erasers or gumption (use with caution!). There's a bit of dirt in the corners that'll come straight off with a toothbrush.

I can't quite see- is there actual damage to that laminate edging or is it just scuffing that will clean off?

Terry_w likes this.
  15. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Fair wear and tear.
    Looks like flat paint which marks easily.
    You can’t expect a property to remain pristine forever.
    Marg

Joynz likes this.
  16. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I tend to agree with Tom. Some of those are wear and tear but some look like direct damage. Hard to tell from photos but after one year it shouldn't look like that.