Can mortgage brokers negotiate better deal for the same product?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by property_geek, 13th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

Do mortgage brokers have extra negotiating powers?

For a new purchase or refinance, can a mortgage broker arrange a better deal (lower interest or more cashback) compared to what is advertised on lender's website?

I understand there are clear cut advantages for engaging a mortgage broker. For example, a MB can present the application in more organized way for better chances of approval or help you chose a more suitable product. However, my question is specific to a chosen product from a chosen lender.

I have lenders calling me directly (because I filled out callback forms on lender's website) who are offering me what is already advertised on their website. Basically no discount on what is advertised.

If I engage a MB, can they negotiate with same lender for same product and get me better deal( lower rate or more cashback than what is advertised)?

Are there any lenders that are open to negotiations (from what is advertised)? if yes, who are they and do they negotiate with clients and MB both or just MBs?

Please note, this question is about refinance/new purchase only (not about negotiating lower rate on existing mortgage with existing lender).

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Lender offers by email etc dont mean a lot. You need to do a full app and get a formal approval. But do that a few times and your credit file is wolverined.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Depends on the lender but yes

4. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

Thanks @Terry_w. Can you name a few lenders?

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

most

Morgs likes this.
  6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I would say most would be able to get better than advertised.
    Just like most bankers direct would be able to offer better than advertised.
    Wouldn't work for all banks and products.

Terry_w likes this.
  7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

More cashback? = No
    Lower Rate? = Yes

Terry_w likes this.
  8. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Than advertised rates - yes, brokers will do much better than this usually with most lenders, particularly for variable products.

Then rates that a good banker from that bank give you - probably not. Plenty of direct channel bankers are great. The general principle banks have is to have no channel conflict, and includes having the same rate offers direct vs brokers.

If price is the only thing you're after, a brokers value proposition generally isn't as good as it can be.

Brady likes this.
  9. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

spot on

10. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I wouldn't say that I can get a better deal for you with a lender, but I go regularly get a better deal than what people get when they negotiate directly with the bank. Either way you can potentially get the same deal, but a good broker is more likely to know what to ask for and when to push for more.

It's certainly been my observation that some bankers do this also. But if you're trying to renegotiate your rates via the call centre, you'll probably get an improvement, but not as good as you might otherwise get.

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2020
    Jess Peletier likes this.
  11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Principle of competition on the basis of the broker being the agent for the borrower - makes sense.

In reality, most but not all lenders have the same floor, it just depends on how one gets there.

When a broker chases retention pricing, the lender often assumes the borrower cant move. Typically our clients get slightly better results with taking our comp data to a retention team than us doing it.

Why ? Because the lender can more clearly see a risk to the business when the incumbent borrower says, my broker wants to move me, but id like to be loyal..............

When the broker makes the same call, it doesnt have the same pull, because if the client could move, there is usually less benefit for the borrower to be retained - I say usually, because moving isnt just about the new comms generated but another subset of non financial issues.

ta

rolf