Can I enter Canterbury-Bankstown LGA if I don't live there?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by jaybean, 19th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I can't get a straight answer from any of the articles I've read.

I have a property there that is vacant and needs renovations. I don't live there though.

I know people who live there aren't allowed to leave, but am I allowed to go in, as a non resident?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yes

3. jaybean

Sweet!! Thank you.

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Might not get out again ... :eek:

Dan Donoghue and Stoffo like this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You'd be game :eek:
    Take your lunch, equip and toilet paper :D
    Go to the house and stop nowhere :confused:
    Even then I'd expect to get pinged by police numberplate recognition for being 10klm or more from home and get a $1,000 fine o_O

Lizzie and The Y-man like this.
  6. jaybean

It's only 4.5k's from where I live (inner west).

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Then mask up and carry some Glen-20 in your tool belt :D

jaybean likes this.
  8. jaybean

ha! I'm doing paint stripping which requires a high end respirator. Nothing is getting in that lol

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

But then ...
    Additional restrictions for NSW

10. jaybean

11. Gockie

The idea of the rule is so you don't mix with other people unnecessarily. This is a property you own (you aren't employing others to do the work) and you really don't intend to mix with people from outside of your household. So I don't have a problem with it.

That's my logic.

Last edited: 19th Jul, 2021
    Stoffo likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If it was a house he lived in I'd agree but to travel to another LGA to do work that isn't critical/urgent then I think they shouldn't go.

craigc and qak like this.
  13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I'm "renovating" my own home
    I'm NOT engaging external contractors, as Im doing the cleaning/painting/tiling myself, so technically it isn't a renovation, more some cleaning up of my own property...
    Also, the restrictions state, by not entering the "home", so as the premisis is vacant/not occupied it could be considered exempt from the rules.
    As it is also barely 4.5klm from the owner's PPOR he could easily travel there

14. Gockie

Screenshot_20210719-213005_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210719-212926_Google.jpg

He can do work there from what I can tell. It's not forbidden.

15. jaybean

Thanks everyone. Yes it's just me by myself at least for the next few months, I'm doing prep work getting it ready for the other tradies.

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You might not have a problem - but the gubberment might have a different view. Do you really want to be a test case or are you better simply chilling a few weeks and seeing how it plays out?

wylie likes this.
  17. Gockie

My sister also has this. Daughter got her L permit in the school holidays but her parents are unsure if they could have her do driving lessons. They decided err on the side of caution and wait till the lockdown is over before letting her to start driving. I'd think it's fine, members of the same household being in a car for the purposes of learning to drive. Thry could also drive to a supermarket or whatever, you get the idea. Now this lockdown is extending for who knows how long.... i actually think the lockdown is the perfect time to learn to drive (as long as the new driver doesn't have an accident) because there's less moving traffic on the road. Anyway, your L permit only lasts a year, what if you don't get the chance to do all the hours you need? I see people using my street for L plate driving learning, so people are still doing it.

The main thing the Goverment wants to stop is groups of people mixing with others, because that's how Covid spreads. I studied Biomedical Science, Immunology and Human Disease at uni, so i'm able to have a clear reasoning of why the rules are as they are. (Btw, I worked at a pathology lab at Concord Hospital for 5 days of work experience at uni... I could stand it/didn't enjoy it and I left early... I didn't show up for the last 2 days). Also did a week of work experience at the blood bank and the scientists monitoring the blood samples had the most boring job...
    Credit/kudos and thankyou to all who work in the field of Pathology as its an important job but it was just not my cup of tea...

I eventually changed career to IT. It's also cruical, and I like what I can do in IT. :)

As to the reno... it's the guy working in his own property. Another rule says if you live in 2 properties, you can move/live in both, no restrictions. Now, if one was out of Sydney, i think that's not the right thing to do because if he is infected, he could be spreading it to a community that is not under restrictions and he could easily start another cluster. But he is intending to do the work in his own home in a very locked down area. He is unlikely to start a new cluster.

I'm totally ok to agree to disagree. :)

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2021
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Big night last night :confused: or auto-correct has brain fog. :p

Edit: Isz @Gockie a Russian spy....Da.

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2021
    Lizzie likes this.
  19. Gockie

:)
    I write something then edit... its all written on my phone so there's always typos. As a paid supporting user of the forum, I get 24 hours to edit my text though! :)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Seeing a lot of questions we had during lockdown last year in Melb resurfacing (renos, L-plates...).... I believe @Joynz would have a word or two about a reno down the road during lockdown.

The Y-man