Can I borrow 95% for IP from any lender?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by David B, 17th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. David B

David B Member

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if its possible to borrow 95% of a property price from a lender, I know that is not possible with big 4 however, maybe some other lenders do.
    Do you know if I can borrow 95%?
    I want to buy an IP with a price tag of 350k or something similar and I do not want to pay 50k upfront (10% plus other expenses like stamp duty).
    I have some equity on my house but I dont want to use that for now for this IP
    Thanks

2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a few that will do 95% + capitalised LMI.

Curious as to why you don't want to use any equity from your PPOR? Even a tiny amount will save you a substantial amount of LMI.

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Liberty springs to mind, they'll cap the whole LMI. Others (a couple) will go to 95% inclusive of LMI.

4. 4point5million

4point5million Well-Known Member

Yes you can do
    Anything you want

Propertunity and Johnny Cashflow like this.
  5. 4point5million

4point5million Well-Known Member

Nice photo, you like jazz? ;)

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yes, there are some lenders that will still go to 95% for investment purposes. They're not the mainstream lenders, you're looking at the non-conforming and privately funded lenders. Expect to pay a premium for that type of loan.

Realistically the LMI on a 95% loan (which can't be capitalised) is so expensive that the difference between a 95% loan and a mainstream 90% loan usually isn't that much. I've had situations where I've told a client that with another $4k they would be able to lend at 90% with more favourable rates and fees.

7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Realistically - the sensible approach in today's lending environment (IMO) is an 88% lend with LMI capitalised on top.

As other have said - higher LVR loans might be possible but you'll generally pay a premium for them.

Cheers

Jamie

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A client of mine told me last week he was offered LMI at $4500 on 85% but at 93% it was $14K.

David, a Q : Are you using a good broker ? They would address these options which may vary with lender, property used as security, occupation and more. (eg Accountants may access a higher LMI etc).

9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I'm writing a deal right now - if clients borrows 499.9k against the property they'll pay circa $13k in LMI. If they borrow a tiny bit more and push the base loan above $500k....they'll pay $19k in LMI!

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia