Can i ask tenant to go halves on new gate and fence?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by virgo, 3rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

My tenant has requested a fence and gate for the entire frontage of the property...as she has a young child...

I have checked with my property manager and i DO NOT have to do it legally...

If you are the tenant, would you go halves with the landlord?

tks!

2. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

It would depend on how long I was planning to stay there for and the cost of the fence.

She obviously has safety concerns for her child. Don't they have a back garden that you can fence off at a lower cost?

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I would not ask the tenant to go halves as they then feel like they have 50% ownership. I'd do it and ask for a rental increase and a 12 month or 2yr lease that sees you reimbursed for the cost within 12-24 months, after which time, you are in profit. (I do this with A/Con requests)

bondibch, EN710, Dean Collins and 6 others like this.
  4. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

What a great idea!! tks PropertyUnity!

Win Win result! I like it..

5. mik

mik Well-Known Member

Nope. Bad idea.
    As a tenant I have no guarantee that I will remain in the property long enough to justify the expense. I may decide to move or I may be moved by the owner.

As an owner I have rented the property as is and the tenant knew when the started the lease that there was no front fence. No harm in them asking though. If I thought it was a good idea anyway and that it would help me rent the property more easily in the future then I'd be happy just to pay for it myself. I don't expect the tenant to have to pay for good ideas.
    There is also the possibility that the property deserves a higher rent in the future.

HUGH72 and wylie like this.
  6. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

If you want a fence to be installed, you'll likely be thinking you're staying for the long term. Or move when the lease is up and find a property with a front fence.

Not such a 'bad idea' after all then?
    Will a front fence command more rent? Maybe, maybe not. My tenants have small children and haven't asked for a front fence. I personally wouldn't pay more rent for a front fence if there was a choice between 2 houses.
    If it's got a backyard, that's generally good enough for people.

If the tenant wants a front fence, a rent increase and additional rental term is more than fair. Flip side is they could also move out after lease ends.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Why did they rent the property without a fence ? Maybe the kid needs a pool too....Or a bigger bedroom. Hell what if mum and dad have another kid - Put on a extension please.

I have no plan or budget to put a fence in would be my response.

dmb1978 likes this.
  8. big max

big max Well-Known Member

I've done this many times where for example tenant asks for new curtains, aircon to be installed, new washing machine etc. Be careful t articulate both ownership and what happens upon end of tenancy.