Can anyone find another bedroom here?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Bran, 30th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Where's the popcorn this is getting exciting... the many ways to add a room, seriously I am learning something.

Can we extend the sunroom, leave everything else the same, I suppose this means structure stuff, not the way you want to cost????

MTR:)

Bran and JacM like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Some good ideas but if the house is not worth adding the big dollars to then it is throwing money away, especially if the big value is in the position and land value ;) *wink*

Bran likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

If downstairs is legal height then just chop off some of the rumpus to make b4 (or even b5 as well) and you will still have room down there for a kids/media room

Sonamic likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

$250k for a bulldozer & project home?

Bran likes this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Depending on what your rental target market is,and how much money you have,transfer the kitchen,bathroom,build out from bedroom 3,and link up too the deck that may give 11.5 #4 mts
    of extra floor area,then that may give you 5 bedrooms,or just leave it as it is,do nothing just rent it out ..imho..

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

No structure. Cheap stuff only. It needs to be tenanted until it's worth double ;)

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Then just give the place a quick spray of dettol glen-20 ,keep the receipts for the spray and rent it out as it is..

MTR, wylie and Bran like this.
  8. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

That dining is going to be very difficult/impossible to furnish, especially considering the location of the access to the deck.

Perhaps you could utilise some of the void space above the stairs and also get rid of the sunroom. Either way it'll definitely be a squeeze.

Bran likes this.
  9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your input!

I inspected this place last night, there is no reasonable capacity for an extra bedroom. The sunroom is an enclosed verandah, hence the size.

If anything, I will pull out the wall in the middle of the kitchen and that's about it.

The toilet can be opened as an ensuite into the bedroom by moving the robe, but I don't think this is worthwhile in this house.

Downstairs is the answer - its already being used as a bedroom. Perhaps a bathroom down there might be worthwhile as @wylie suggested.

I've made an offer under multiple offer conditions vs an owner occupier couple, so let's see.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you get it please remind me to send you the photos of our sons reno before and after photos. Same house, same layout exactly. Same problems. We removed wall between kitchen and living so you walk up the stairs and whole area is now open.

They sold (made some profit) and bought again - but it was transformed inside and out. Outside rendered (including balustrades of verandahs) and painted crisp white. They turned an ugly duckling into a swan. It looked amazing.

Good luck with your offer :).

Bran likes this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Awesome!! I would love to see/hear the details - I should find out this morning.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Update please, did you get it????

13. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

99% chance of a no unless Bran is happy to pay a touch over fair value ;)

Owner occupiers have been driving prices up in Moorooka on these kind of houses for the last year.

MTR likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi Steven
    This is where you purchased last year, I can say that now right??
    What sort of price rises do you think over last 12 months??

15. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

No I didn't.

I offered asking price before the first open with a deadline. It became a multiple offer when the agent invited another party through when I insisted I couldn't make the weekend inspection.

Unfortunately my finance is not as tight as it can yet be.

@Steven Ryan I'm still smarting over paying above market value in Cairns all those years ago. PS: You are right - I'm after the 1%

Despite how keen I seem, I have all my eggs in few baskets and am a little cagey in adding more. Thus, I really need a good deal to pluck up the courage to go again. I think I bought well in 2015, and can ride out a stagnant period, but I'm not interested in putting my neck on the chopping block on a purely speculative buy again so soon.

Last edited: 3rd Jan, 2016
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Make sure you advise Libs and Wategos about OOs outbidding evil landlords to push up prices and how Negative Gearing is still the Poison of the People

17. Steven Ryan

Yep and yep.

I'd estimate 15%+. Most of that happened first half of 2015 but there was a second wind around Q3 as well. This is on the back of reasonable growth in the 18 months prior to that, too.

It's a tough one to pin down just on the data though as there is SUCH a spread in house prices. There are dumps near the station worth literally half the price of some of the nicer homes toward Toohey forest so the data can be a bit volatile depending on what sort of stuff is being sold at different points during the year.

The entry level homes have been going great guns. Mostly first home buyers, and some upgraders, have been going BERZERK over bread and butter houses (3 bed, mostly). Everything without a major issue is under contract the first weekend. Been like this since June.

MTR likes this.
  18. Steven Ryan

@MTR, just had a look for what I could find (SQM) for Moorooka. moorooka.png

These are asking prices, not sale prices :)

MTR likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just read a recent thread on this. Many development sites in this area?
    The only downside for me is the infrastructure costs are high in QLD, I guess a matter of weighing it all up

Thanks

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That is decent growth for houses.

You should be very happy:)