Can a study be advertised as an extra bedroom?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by NoobieProp, 13th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NoobieProp

NoobieProp Active Member

Hi

I'm viewing a property that's advertised as a 2 bedder but when you inspect further, it clearly says one bedder + one study in the floor plan, the ad copy and even the email.

The study is 3m x 2.8m.

Two questions here:
    1. Is there a legal requirement on what can be advertised?
    2. If not, why don't they just advertise it clearly as a 2 bedder instead of mixing it up?

Cheers

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Has it got a door on it as a separate room? I see most ads will got to "bedroom" unless it is more a "study nook".

The Y-man

craigc likes this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

What about zoom room. I think bedroom study and zoom room are fine description for a spare room, although conventional to have wardrobe and windows for bedroom.

I know what u mean tho.

I advertise one ip as 4/5 bedroom as the fifth bedroom is either living/rumpus/zoom room, as well as a potential bedroom.

4. NoobieProp

NoobieProp Active Member

upload_2021-10-13_16-0-34.png

Yeah it has a door - just screenshotted the floor plan.

The window actually overlooks the other bedroom 'ontop' so I can see why it's better advertised as a study room but I thought you'd get more money if you try selling it as two bedrooms?

That's just me assuming though - I could be completely wrong!

Attached Files:

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Bedroom - Height, window and door are features of a bedroom. If its under a house it could be a height issue ? With windows some indirect lightsources can count. A glass sliding door may not count as a "window" where there are privacy issues. Be wary a 1bed + study is NOT a 2 bed and if its converted its a compliance issue.

One team of this years block was edited out as initially planning a basement bedroom. The light issue was a "no" under the building code.

What does the occupancy certificate say ? Is like the birth certiifcate for ant dwelling. Any any changes need to be approved on top.

6. NoobieProp

NoobieProp Active Member

Sorry I should have been clearer - it's an apartment and the window does show into the other bedroom (which raises the privacy issue you just mentioned) - I think you might be right here.

I don't have those details (certs etc.) just yet, was just inspecting.

7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Legally it's probably is 1 bedroom and a study like the text of the listing states. They label it as 2 bedroom so it comes up in property searches on websites.

8. HenryC

HenryC Well-Known Member

Legally it will have to refer to the original plan so better check the contract...In saying that most agents will advertise it as a bedroom as long as it has a door...