Can a deck add value?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by PropertyInsight, 12th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

My Brisbane IP is on the main road in Camp Hill. I think about selling it by next year to reduce debt. Now I am planning for renovation before selling.

The IP does have a very old deck but there is no direct access from the lounge or dining room. The house is highset but deck is on the ground. It is too old to use anyway.

I think about remove the old deck and add a new deck which can directly access from the lounge rear, and access to the yard rear by stairs. Its size can be 3 x 7 meter.

Surrounding area is renting houses but they have decks.

Do you think deck will add value?

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

There are some very good long-term selling Agents in that area,maybe give them a ring first and ask the question will a deck add value or leave it for the next in line..

wylie and PropertyInsight like this.
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

People buying a PPOR are buying a dream. If they see themselves entertaining and enjoying the outdoor lifestyle then that would be a good selling point. Whether you get more or less for the dollars invested I have no idea.

PropertyInsight likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A deck certainly is almost a "must have" in Brisbane, especially in a high set house. People don't want to carry things downstairs to a shady area. They want to wander straight off the living rooms onto a deck. We've lost tenants in years gone by when we've not had decks. As we could afford to, we would add decks.

Depending on the house, its internal layout, its street appeal, its level of finish now, you could be adding a very desirable selling point, or you could be wasting your money.

Who is the likely buyer for your house? Will someone bulldoze it to build a new house? What condition is the house itself?

I'd be getting a couple of local agents in and asking this of them.

Propertunity, AxeLy and Brady like this.
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Just tacking on to this thread as I'm contemplating adding a deck to one of my IPs . What would be the minimum width for a deck....3m excluding any steps?

6. wylie

We have a 2.5m wide deck off the front of our house. We have had table and chairs, but has to be a small set. We've toyed with pushing it out another half a meter, and might do that one day.

We have our pool and outdoor area at the back so if we have more than a couple of people wanting to sit outdoors, we have another option.

I'd say 3m minimum if you want table and chairs. Preferably 4m wide.

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks. This is a potential future PPOR, so knowing what we're like, more likely to plonk a comfortable L shaped couch there vs table and chairs. Inspo below.

Am guessing based on photo it'll require a minimum of 3.5 - 4m as we won't back the couch against the house (has sliding doors)....so need a 80cm-1m gap as well for smooth access.

porch12.jpg

AxeLy likes this.
  8. Spad

Spad Well-Known Member

If the deck is in good condition but just looks old and weathered you can sand & reapply a new finish. Will save you alot of money.

9. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Hi @Lacrim, I love decks, verandahs, shade sails ... and had them installed at all my IPs. They probably enhanced the valuation of the IPs [yet to verify ..], and my tenants enjoyed the added outdoor living. However, apart from the usual wear & tear & repairs, the IPs' maintenance costs have increased because these timber decks require annual cleaning/oiling/staining. My carpenter recommended merbau timber decking which was supposed to last longer. Just wondering if there are cheaper options with lower maintenance costs ? :confused:

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'm not sure myself...I think Treated Pine is at the bottom of the food chain, then Merbau then the hardwoods like Spotted Gum, etc and then at the top is Composite Decking. Personally find the colour tone of Merbau too dark/red.

And I've also been told Composite decking doesn't last. Would love to hear from others which kind of decking they recommend for longevity/look.

11. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I think merbu is one of the cheaper ones. I recall using it years ago on my first reno project and that would have been a cost choice (had no money at the time!).

12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Depends on the size of one’s deck.
    In Brissie, I believe it is a must have.

That comes from someone whose PPOR has 5 x decks :D.

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What are your decks made of?

14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Front door deck is made out of wood for appearance.

The other four on side and rear of house are made with tiles for practicality reasons, no maintenance, hard wearing and easy to clean.

AxeLy and Stoffo like this.
  15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Can you add a pic of one of the tiled decks? I am trying to picture it.

kierank likes this.
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

@Gockie think of my home - I was tempted to take a photo of our outdoor space and post it here but bragging about our ten metre deck might be too much for my friend @kierank

kierank likes this.
  17. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

@kierank , how much more expensive are tiles decks as compared to wood deck ? This would reduce my long term maintenance costs.

18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Pls post a photo....really. Am starting a deck build in a couple of weeks.

19. wylie

I wouldn't consider tiling a deck that is on a top level of a Queenslander. It would look odd. You'd still need the structure anyway. We don't re-coat our decks annually - just when we have a tenant changeover.

20. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

@wylie , which type of wood did you use for your decks ?