NSW Campsie in Sydney - What you think?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Frank Manno, 17th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

My 2c is that not everything in Sydney is a no go..despite it having done the growth.
    I would look at month to month demand to supply ratios of the areas- look for a mean number to see how it has and is tracking compared to the wider Sydney average.- campsie has constantly been below the Sydney average and thus I cannot see it hold up well when the cycle turns.
    Edit: but.. If you are definitely going to buy, then a multi cycle hold is almost necessary if getting a sizeable cg (or you could always opt to manufacture cg, if you are willing to spend time and money to do so)
    I will also say that 'hoping to make a quick 100k' isn't going to happen- in most RE markets worldwide. OP- you are looking at the wrong asset class if that is what you want.

Last edited: 19th May, 2017
    Sackie likes this.
  2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

How much research are you putting in? Are you analysing any data at all or just going in there blind? I think some of the experienced investors already provided you some sound advice. Your money at the end of the day and if you fixated in proceeding ahead, go ahead and tell us how you go

3. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

What is a go to you?

4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Some areas in Sydney might be ok. Will require lots of research. Look at demand to supply in Sydney and it's fundamentals. With a longer term strategy in Sydney it should be good. I would seek location in Sydney as I think this will drive future growth in already expensive markets.
    Has globally as well eg London hk Dubai etc. These were already expensive markets even before any cyclical upswing and location has driven it..yes in a downturn it's fell but the falls have been shorter lived than riskier areas. expect similar to happen in Sydney in the future.
    A fair chunk of Melbourne and Brisbane are looking attractive in the shorter and med terms.

Last edited: 19th May, 2017
  5. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Go two stops west. Lakemba has legs I'm telling you. You can still pick up a 2-1-1 for low 4's.

splatters and josh123 like this.
  6. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

I really believe Lakemba has some form of legs. In 40 years from now, it will get gentrified.

samiam likes this.
  7. Inov8ive

You laugh now. Just watcho_O

8. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Watch what?

How much Haldon street has transformed in 10 years?

9. Moltzerman

Moltzerman Well-Known Member

Houses in Campsie are definitely worth looking at to invest, but units...there will be rezoning changes soon. Campsie was forwarded as a priority precinct (similar to North Ryde/Macquarie Park). Houses - Yes! Units - OTP is too risky; older units in the area selling in the 500k range may be better.

10. Inov8ive

How much has Haldon Street changed in 10 years? Not much. But how is that relevant? How much will it change in the next 10 years is the question you need to ask? The answer is massively. Go and do a bit of research on the Bankstown to Sydenham renewal project. The whole corridor is being rezoned and renewed and Haldon St is a major component of these renewals. A quote from the document.
    "Haldon Street will be a vibrant, pedestrian friendly main street with a range of new shops, businesses and housing". https://majorprojects.accelo.com/public/a7187aafbe99befa864f075576ba2f57/Lakemba Precinct.pdf

josh123 likes this.
  11. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

Buying OTP anywhere in Sydney as a short term investment: moderate - high risk

You mentioned you wanted to sell it for a profit before you needed to get a loan.
    That's no different to speculative share trading.

Beware the risks and be prepared to lose your whole deposit and then some.

You're looking at the market at the peak now.
    My advice to friends and anyone is to either sit and wait, buy elsewhere (interstate), or be prepared to sit on a property that likely won't grow for a good 5-10years.

Brickbybrick likes this.
  12. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

Think of it as a game of musical chairs.
    If you get up now, you'll be the last one standing, holding an $800,000 cookie cutter apartment in a complex of 100 units in a growing yet not so great suburb.
    ...$800,000.

Brickbybrick and Jack Chen like this.