NSW Campbelltown..@ 50kms plus from CBD what are the prospects

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Illusivedreams, 12th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Hey Team

I know some have investments in Campbelltown in Sydney. So this is just a bit of an exploration . I know you can invest in Brisbane and get 1.2% returns. Although im just talking about Campbelltown and lesser extent Macarthurregion.

What do you feel are the prospects for the area over 10 years?

It s affordable and rail connected to the CBD but takes over 1 hour.

Seems the affordable areas here are holding up ok now. almost 0% downturn yet.

Campbelltown NSW , Suburb Profile & Property Market Trends

How will the airport new highways affect area?
    New highways
    Outer Sydney Orbital corridor identification | Transport for NSW

Or is it simply too far away? here is a map for who Campbelltown might as well be auburb of Canberra. :)
    [​IMG]

2. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

mental that in this country a 2 hour round trip is consider acceptable

Marcus Yuuu, NG., Brady and 2 others like this.
  3. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

50kms from the CBD but only 40kms to the beach :)

Nice halfway point between Wollongong and Sydney and still relatively affordable

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Logan 2.0

5. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

with less yield but potentially more growth?

6. Illusivedreams

Is their as much Infra going in around Logan as their is around Campbelltown.
    I don't know the area well enough.(Logan)

Yield is around 3.9% gross. in Campbelltown.

7. Illusivedreams

My round trip used to be 3 hours

Now just under 2 hours

I drive as Public transport would be 6 hours hahahaha.

As south west Sydney and North west develop more a lot of jobs will decentralize I think so things will change.

The next 8 years in Sydney will be interesting.

Cmelderis likes this.
  8. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

honestly. for peoples mental health..i hope you are right.. but paramatta is not a failure but also not a success, they said the same thing 10 years ago when i came to australia. they havent even fill all the offices avaialable in CBD " paramatta" and now thinking about 3rd and 4th business district...

they should move the whole cbd to paramatta, A Center business District in the Center of the "state".

too bad that will never happen.. i wont hold by breath..norwest didnt as much put a dent, look how fast schofield etc is falling ..

and now this southwest..

im glad i didnt buy into that gov crap..but many had fallen

Marcus Yuuu, ndpjai and Cmelderis like this.
  9. Cmelderis

Cmelderis Well-Known Member

I hope youre right re the decentralisaion
    I used to commute 1.5 hours in Sydney, in Perth I commute .5 hours....I could never move back to Sydney for many reasons but the amount of commuting is a big reason
    Its just ridiculous

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Should I trade my 20 minute commute to the cbd for 4 Cambelltown properties and an hour coummute? Sounds like a dud lifestyle choice (but could be advantageous diversification of risk).

11. Illusivedreams

I live by the beach and travel to Liverpool for work.

For me a CBD is irrelevant.

It will be good to have Sydney decentralise a bit.

Have different districts We will see if the $750,000,0000 Liverpool health district eventuates.

Cmelderis likes this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

In 5 years assuming flat growth the yields will improve and airport will be getting closer to completition.
    7 years time to buy :cool:

Illusivedreams likes this.
  13. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

It's interesting when you consider the travel time from these destinations via train:

Penrith to Central: 56 mins
    Campbelltown to Central: 54 mins
    Liverpool to Central: 53 mins*
    Cronulla to Central: 51 mins
    Hornsby to Central: 38 mins
    Parramatta to Central: 25 mins

* Will be 56 mins post Bankstown Metro, same as Penrith!!!

With the exception of Liverpool which is a very slow travel time considering the distance, these times aren't too bad in the Sydney context compared to some areas closer in without trains but unless you live next to the station any train trip over 50 mins (longer to get to the centre of the CBD rather than Central too) would be well over an hour each way minimum. Most likely 2.5 hrs per day for most.

Although the travel times do reflect in the prices mostly, the travel time from the very expensive North Shore suburb of Wahroonga (to Town Hall rather than Central) 44 mins doesn't hold back the prices here! Sydney really is slow.

Illusivedreams likes this.
  14. Illusivedreams

Our. Metro is horrible

It would make Sydney so much more easy city to. Live in if max metro from any point was 30 minutes

Liverpool trains is horrible I did it for 1 year it stops. At 14 stops or something like this.
    It needs better express services.

Liverpools population is growing at some of the fastest in the state so. I think its matter of time.

Macarthut growth is also. One of the fastest so I think its a matter of time before Express services get reduced or at least improved

15. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

Liverpool can't run express trains due to the fact it shares tracks with the Western lines. That wont change as it would slow the Western lines services substantially and limit service numbers (which they are trying to increase). In fact Liverpool may get even slower than 56 mins when they try and max out the Western line tracks in the near future (will have to stop at even more stops). Remains to be seen though.

To run express to Liverpool you would need to build more tracks between Granville and the CBD and new CBD line/ stations which would be incredibly expensive and didn't appear in the 50 year transport plan so doesn't seem to be on the horizon. They did show the Metro extension from Bankstown to Liverpool (all stops of course) in 40 years or so which would be quicker by around 10 mins (not great but something). I get the feeling that may not happen though and was more of a thought bubble.

Campbelltown via East Hills and Sydenham though does have fast tracks, it could run even faster too if you make space closer to the CBD. It actually has potential to be the fastest Sydney train due to its good alignment and there is space for lots of trains if its separated from the Airport line. whether that happens is a different question.

16. Illusivedreams

Thank you amazing information :)

Sydney may simply not need to all travel to a central in 50 years Parramatta, Liverpool and Penrith may be more Important travel times between these destinations.

bob shovel likes this.
  17. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Liverpool does have a direct rail link to Parramatta (Cumberland line), its not too slow (in a Sydney context anyway) and if they start to run it frequently that does put it ahead of many other areas and if Parramatta keeps growing then that's a big positive.

In theory if they could interchange the Cumberland line to the new West Metro at Parramatta that could provide a much quicker CBD trip. If you don't mind changing trains and probably standing. It also would allow access to the proposed Metro to Epping and much quicker access to Macquarie Park. That and access to the new Airport would all be beneficial for Liverpool in the future.

18. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Am I seeing this right? St Mary’s first stop after the airport? Could be a big boost for the area if done right

19. Illusivedreams

Can I pick your brain.
    Why is their no direct service (train)
    Liverpool Badgerys creek?

Is it because its slow to the city afterwards?

I would have though due to future employment by the airport a lot of employees might come from Liveprool area. Well the Airport head office is currently in Liveprool.

20. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

Apologies for the long post.

Liverpool is sort of in a difficult location, especially with how the rail has developed over time. The Main South and Bankstown lines to Liverpool are very old and are not aligned to meet up with any of the important locations. With these lines being the age they are they also have lots of stations close together, you will notice they don't build lines like this now, it makes for very slow journeys with out separate, dedicated express tracks for which there is no room. So an Airport line to Liverpool first up wouldn't work.

Their first priority is to hook the new Airport line to the Western line. They want rail access to Parramatta primarily, plus Blacktown and Penrith. However the Western line is also faster to the Sydney CBD than most other alternatives. This line takes the first of the two station boxes at the new Airport. It is also more cost effective since it runs through a lot of open space until it gets close to St Marys unlike heading East towards Liverpool. While its details are not finalised, the West Metro to Westmead is meant to create room on the Western line to allow for transfers and Sydney CBD trips.

Despite what that diagram shows, they then want to extend from St Marys North to meet up with the NW Metro at Schofields allowing access to employment centres like Norwest and then South from the West Airport to Campbelltown. Again this is cost effective compared to heading East and is supported by a lot of new development up and down this corridor.

From here they use the second station box for an extension of the West Metro at Westmead to the new Airport, linking up all 3 "Cities" with one line. A very expensive underground line! However it directly links the new Airport with Parramatta and the Sydney CBD. It also should allow for a fast enough trip to interchange to the current Airport line to access Kingsford Smith Airport.

However this leaves no more room at the new Airport for a station for the future extension of the SWRL from Leppington which could also run through Liverpool. So that extension stops short of the actual Airport servicing the "Aerotropolis". Airport bound passengers would interchange. This extension seems to be aimed at getting workers to the employment areas around the Airport itself.

I guess its possible that a future Government could prioritize the SWRL extension giving Liverpool a boost but they would then probably connect this line to the East Hills for a fast trip to the Sydney CBD in lieu of the extended West Metro to fill that hole as the Western line is shown to fill quickly even with the West Metro taking some pressure off in the early years.

bob shovel likes this.