QLD Camp Hill - Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MWestern, 11th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MWestern

MWestern Well-Known Member

This may not be the place to post this, but does anyone have much experience with Camp Hill? My wife and I have been looking at 3 bed free-standing homes in Coorparoo, but as the months pass the area seems to move further and further out of our price range (900k+ min). Camp Hill seems like the next best option, but prices seem to vary a lot, 700k-$1M+, with not a lot on the market.

We are going to look at a property that is off-market this weekend that according to the agent will most likely sit in the $900k-$1M range and I'd love to hear from anyone who has knowledge of the area.

Thanks

2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

While still being a very nice suburb Camp Hill is not as nice as Coorparoo. I would probably prefer Carina Heights.

Is there a reason you are restricting yourself to around Coorparoo? Rather than looking at other similar suburbs? For same price you could potentially get something in Albion, Lutwiche or get a large lot further north east or north west on a train line?

MWestern likes this.
  3. db9

db9 Well-Known Member

camp hill is great. I would prefer camp hill over Coorparoo for many spots

standtall, Parkzilla, Coen and 3 others like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Many homes on Camp Hill recently had a nice jump in price. I'd be looking for more value in neighbouring suburbs but that's because even neighbouring suburbs I find nice and well priced, when compared to Sydney. :)

Camp Hill is currently a very hot middle ring market for homes.

5. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Draw you circle in 1km increments around Brisbane CBD.
    Put the average price of the suburb on the map.
    Now you have a big picture on your map.

MWI and MWestern like this.
  6. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Camp Hill is a great area. Close to CBD, not far from Westfield at Carindale. Some great public schools and easy access to a lot of awesome private schools too. Also fast access to CBD via express bus transport along Old Cleveland Road.

standtall, Parkzilla and MWestern like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

As someone who lives in Coorparoo, my feeling is that 20 years ago it was a higher priced suburb but I do think perhaps this has switched.

There's a LOT of money being poured into big renovations, big blocks with city views in Camp Hill.

My parents lived in Camp Hill, moved to Coorparoo. They held IPs in both suburbs, but sold the last Camp Hill house about 11 years ago.

I don't look at statistics because we aren't able to buy anything, but my "gut" feeling is that Camp Hill has caught up with Coorparoo, possibly gone past it. There are plenty of streets in both suburbs that I'd avoid and good streets in both suburbs.

There are parts of both that are less desirable, and parts that are more desirable. My feeling is there are far more units in Coorparoo.

MWestern likes this.
  8. MWestern

MWestern Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

@Noobieboy The location and feel of the suburbs really tick our boxes, and we'd like to stay south of the river.

@wylie great insights, thank you. Do you have any examples of streets specifically?

9. SuperOlaf

SuperOlaf Well-Known Member

Totally agree. We were looking in Nov /Dec last year and Camp Hill was already very hot then. Can't imagine what it would be now. Best to look at next suburb out such as Carina, close to the border of Camp Hill.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yes I remember looking at prices then too thinking geez they are moving up fast. If I were looking for my PPOR there, if school catchment wasn't an issue, I'd definitely be moving a few km away and looking at all those suburbs in that ring. I think much better value for money.

11. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Have property in Carina Hts, Camp Hill bit too rich for us. Both areas are excellent, hard to fault in my opinion. :)

12. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Back in 2013, I had to consider where I want to move to. Camp Hill or Clayfield.
    Both was about the same for character and feel.

13. wylie

That's not easy. They are big suburbs with many streets.

And apart from the obvious million dollar streets, the other streets can be subject to personal bias one way or the other. Some are clearly "no go". The ones where most of the old houses have been removed for six packs (Coorparoo).

Camp Hill has a fair chunk of housing commission, but these are slowly being upgraded, removed and new houses built. It is ever-changing.

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Is there a database of where the housing commission houses are in Brisbane?

15. wylie

I don't know the answer to that. I do know many streets that I wouldn't have touched 20 years ago that are slowly gentrifying, being renovated, becoming much more desirable (jewel box streets near Cav Road High School spring to mind).

Edit: Just looked at maps, and these are just outside the Camp Hill boundary. They are in Holland Park, but you get the idea. Being in the catchment for a school that is now considered an elite school has helped this little enclave too, and it is changing quickly I think.

I know I need to stop assuming that things don't change, because they do. And streets I would not have chosen to buy in 20 years ago are so different now.

Gen-Y and Lacrim like this.
  16. boganfromlogan

Camp Hill splits into 4 quadrants, use Old Cleveland for North South split, and Boundary / Wiles for East West Split.

The South East quadrant is same as Carina Hts but more $$;
    The North East is same as Carina but more $$;
    The South West is very nice very expensive (martha st shops and coffee shops);
    The North West is nice but maybe few more townhouses there? (Due Diligence required);

Sackie likes this.
  17. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I always found the south west quadrant (Martha st) the most attractive.. my late grandparents owned a couple properties on warilda st and can still remember the big unrenovated blocks.. problem is the streets are so incredibly narrow and the zoning now allows for a much higher density, it seems every second house has a townhouse built in the backyard.

The second airport will further detract from the area..

Take a drive to the northside ;) one of my favourites is Kalinga.. possibly the prettiest suburb in Brisbane filled with pre-war character homes on wide open streets and some of the best schools around :)

boganfromlogan likes this.
  18. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Agree with Kalinga.. it’s a nice suburb, so small and also Wooloowin have some nice character homes too. But prepare to pay for it as it hardly ever change hands.

19. boganfromlogan

we are getting a second airport?

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  20. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Some demographics to compare both suburbs. yes Coorparoo certainly has more units:
    Compare Australia Suburb - Camp Hill, QLD vs Coorparoo, QLD