Bylaw for bathroom renovation

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Jcha, 12th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jcha

Jcha Well-Known Member

Hi there,

So we're going to do renovation on our bathroom which is classified as "major". The strata manager has told me that we will need a "bylaw" specifically for this. The price is a bit hefty @ $600. Does anyone know of a more cost efficient way of getting this?

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• Don't tell anyone and just do it (no one will notice the jack hammers, angle grinders, tile saws or countless tradies)
    • Seek clarification as to why it requires a by-law (might be as you will now be taking responsibility for the waterproofing of the new bathroom).

3. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I'm going through it as well atm and it's a pain in the backside with the number of requests. Also, need to pay for the meeting to take place for them to consider the bylaw amendement.

4. Jcha

Jcha Well-Known Member

Wondering if we can use this template?

https://www.yourstrataproperty.com.au/by-law-templates/

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No way around it and 600 is cheap. I've done quite a few and some cost alot more. By law fee. Legal fees. General meeting fees ( if called early)

Perp and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's precisely it. Some shockers in the past left water damage for plenty of units affected by poor waterproofing. Strata now are very vigilant.

Perp likes this.
  7. Rugz06

Rugz06 Well-Known Member

Your strata committee should make their own bylaw for around $1500. This will cover all upcoming works by any owner. On each occasion the owners will only need to pay a small fee for an application/bond against the bylaw to complete works, say $250.

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Jcha

Jcha Well-Known Member

Thanks Rugz, will suggest this.

9. Jcha

Jcha Well-Known Member

Hi Rugz can you elaborate more on this specifically? specifically what is this process called so I can get more details online and so that I can tell the strata manager on this (he's a bit old school)

10. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

I assume SNM was joking, but just in case - don't do this. Likely to invalidate your insurance if you do have a leak.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. Jcha

Jcha Well-Known Member

Lol yea I wasn't gonna. I ignore unhelpful posts.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

By the time it gets approved ( assuming they will do it) , your Reno plans will be out of date and style.

13. Rugz06

Rugz06 Well-Known Member

Minor works include kitchen renovation, some floor finishes with major being items that may affect other properties like waterproofing (bathroom) or structural changes.
    So Sackie is correct that it can take time for Major works to be approved as an EGM or AGM may only be held once every 6 months, but minor works can be approved within a few days.

Your bathroom renovation will fall under minor works if there are no waterproofing works involved. As such you may be able to have it approved in a few days.

See below conversations for info.

"apparently in 2015 the laws changed and this meant all complexes needed a blanket bylaw, however, we were mismanaged during this time and our bylaw did not get drafted. We have had many complaints from residents because they are having to employ strata lawyers to draft up bylaws etc, so as a committee we should really put the blanket by law in for the residents.
    The committee still has to review and have an EGM to approve any major renovations so this process still applies"

"This programme will authorise the committee to approve minor renovations as referenced in accordance with Section 110 of the strata schemes management act via a paper committee meeting. As for major works, these still require approval via special resolution at a general meeting, however the owner does not need to obtain an individual by-law and will use the works programme."

Sackie likes this.
  14. Rugz06

Rugz06 Well-Known Member

Get your strata to speak to Grace Lawyers to create a special bylaw for major and minor works approval programme.
    They will be able to sort it out from there

15. Jcha

Jcha Well-Known Member

Thank you