Buying, selling, sitting on the sidelines in 2020?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by VB King, 4th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What does your portfolio look like in 2020 vs 2019

Poll closed 18th Oct, 2020.
  1. I’ve added to my portfolio

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. My portfolio hasn’t changed

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  3. I’ve bought and sold, my my portfolio is largely unchanged

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. I’ve sold down

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

Lots of opinions on where the market is going.

I thought this would be a fun poll to check the pulse of this community, also known as @See Change Property Chat Lead Indicator (or something similar).

Add some spice with where you’ve bought or sold and why in the comments. Are your actions in line with your long term strategy, or have you pivoted based on the events of 2020?

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Buying one in Syd (this year or next), waiting for things to peak before selling one in Bris (I reckon a few years from now).

I'd definitely consider this a pivot. I didn't expect to have the funds to buy one more but the stockmarket went crazy. And I didn't expect Brisbane to boom for a while to open this window for me to sell.

VB King likes this.
  3. VB King

I’ve added 2 properties in 2020, units in Merrylands and North Parramatta, Sydney.

My long term strategy was not to buy any more.

My long term (bullish) view of the market hasn’t changed, I’ve bought in the dip to steal a term from stock market investors.

4. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I've just bought a PPR. Was more about having the deposit and the loan rather than timing the market.
    I did buy a house larger in size, in the next suburb and more than 100k over my budget. Covid gave me a life's too short moment and I bought a place that we could love, rather than just being good enough. The market didn't bottom out as predicted and not much else of this size and age has been listed within the increased budget, so in hindsight it was probably a good buy.

David_SYD and VB King like this.
  5. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Actively looking and have funds/ plan in place.

I will upgrade PPoR, convert current PPoR to an investment and maintain P&I until fixed term is up then reevaluate.

No FOMO yet and I will not be stretching myself.

Suburb selection is our priority and there’s only a select few we are looking in. Haven’t seen any signs of a downward trend but some signs in the suburbs adjacent or further out.

6. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Not planning on doing anything. If the predictions about a boom in Brisbane come true then will look at doing some selling in 2021/2022.

7. VB King

OK, the sample is low.
    And I expected some response bias by those who have transacted.

What does appear to be telling is the ratio of those adding to their portfolio vs those divesting.