Buying property with Trust using company "dividends"

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by VeryVo, 14th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. VeryVo

VeryVo New Member

Hi all

Was wondering if I could get some tax professionals input to my situation.

I have a sizable amount of profits after making some successful investments. These profits are trapped inside a Pty Ltd as franked div's which I own 100% shares in.

I already have 6 digit salary, so any distributions from this company would push me into highest tax bracket - it would take me decades just to get this money out without incurring the wrath of the bracket creep.

I've being looking into making investments into property under a trust and use surplus funds from the company and distribute rental profits to my family members.

I understand any related party transactions would involve div7a - which I would like to avoid if possible

If I set up a discretionary trust with corporate trustee, and have my original Pty Ltd company act as shareholder of the corporate trustee (think of it as a subsidiary) and my family members as beneficiary - would this be a workable solution?

I will be asking my accountant about this however he is on leave until next month - and I'm really keen to start on this.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

div7A would apply if a trust but no a company

VeryVo likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

1. TradingCo Pty Ltd could lend to the trustee of the new trust. On commercial terms. Div 7a likely applies so the rate may be higher than a bank lender. Depending if its secured or not the term could be short. A secured loan ? P&I applies. No IO. Rights of a liquiidator to "call" the loan need to be given legal advice.
    2. TradingCo Pty Ltd could invest in a subsidiary company to avert Div 7a. But there is no disc trust. No loan needed. BUT seek legal advce on how asset protection works. A creditor of Newco Pty Ltd may have access to property equity. Shares in that company would be owned by TradingCo not a trust. But there could be other shareholders. But this could leave a minority interest (at best?) held by the trustee.

Div7A was drafted to be a catch all and many events come back to this tax law.

Last edited: 14th Sep, 2020
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Or set up a new company owned by a discretionary trust. This company borrows from trading company

Curious2019 likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia