Buying property on a busy street?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Realist35, 14th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

My understanding is that houses in quiet streets are more desirable and busy roads should be avoided.

How busy is Dawson Parade in Brisbane? A house I'm looking at is right next to it. It seems relatively cheap, but if the road is very busy I'll definitely cross it out.

Thanks a lot:)!

2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Generally right I'd say. Just watch out for other undesirables in quiet areas like HV power lines, water treatment plants, substations, or fish/meat processing factories upwind of the area (thought I'd found a gem in Brisbane until the breeze picked up)...

Busy roads aren't all bad, but they need some really good redeeming features to make them worth-while. (e.g. 'desirable' suburb, low price, easy access to great local infrastructure like shops, cafes, schools, parks etc).

MTR and Realist35 like this.
  3. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot mate, that makes sense. I'll try to avoid these busy roads.

4. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Depends on the area i reckon

If its a big block in a an area close to the cbd with train stations and the like then i would say its possibly a better investment than a quiet street.
    Lower entry level, higher yield, higher likelihood of future development potential

Cheers

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

+1
    Also you are buying at lower entry level, always a discount for secondary location, however when you sell same, and you also are limiting your market as not everyone wants to live on a busy street. Nothing wrong with this, just as long as you go in with eyes wide open.

Nasty one though is the HV power lines, don't buy if this is in close proximity to the house, learnt this one. Purchased a deve site, had no idea the HV power lines nearby looked like the norm... had to reduce sale price and many buyers walked because of this negative element.

6. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Agree on the HV power lines. But busy road doesnt mean its bad. There is more potential in some busy road due to increase likelihood of re-zoning, shops, public transport, building units/townhouses and the such.

A great example I know someone who bought a fibro house on a very veyr busy road. But they got bought out by a developer because they wanted to build 80 units which they needed his house. So he effectively got paid double the value.

Exactly the same thing happened in Carlingford a few years ago. All those houses on the corner of Pennant Hills Road and Carlingford Road were bought up and now there are like hundreds of units there. That intersection is horrid and those streets are busy as any other street in Sydney.

7. mrrio

mrrio New Member

Agree, I bought a house with big land on busy street Coreen ave in Penrith, it is walking distance to Penrith CBD, hope to be rezoned in the next 5&10 years.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.