Buying on a slope

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Man_needs_a_name, 26th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Man_needs_a_name

Man_needs_a_name Member

This property I'm looking at is on a downward sloping lot. Like the house opposite the street is on a much higher slope than this house is and the slant goes downwards.

The slope is not small, the house on the other side has the garage as an undercoat without needing any excavation of you know what I mean.

The level of the house I'm looking at has the roof lined up against the top of the garage opposite.

It's a decent size block, probably would be subdividable in 10+ years time, house is built in the early 70s and that's what I can fit in my budget.

The long term plan would be to rent it out until subdivision is possible and then demo and rebuild two houses.

Is the slope going to be a big issue trying to sell the block?
    I'm a noob, and this would be my first IP, so any help is appreciated.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Probably. The biggest issue is whether it drains well, and then after that, how hard it is to build on it.

3. Man_needs_a_name

Man_needs_a_name Member

Yeah what should I look out for? The whole area is on top of a small hill, so drainage is not really an issue.
    The house is level, so the land under the house also should be level currently.

The question is how much of a mistake is it to buy?
    This property has never been sold since built, so I cannot really compare what growth is an acceptable range.
    I would say the slope is anywhere between 10-20degrees

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Honestly you probably need an expert report if you're not sure how to assess it yourself. Otherwise I would assume the worst.

Man_needs_a_name likes this.
  5. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Sounds like my house built just over 40 years ago, the upper level back verandah is level with the backyard, biggest problem is the driveway, I cant take the garbage out as I would be carried away by todays sized bins and end up on the other side of the street :oops:
    It can be tricky backing out of the garage as it has a bend halfway down which is deceptive and I once ended up with the rear of my car hanging over the garden which I have never lived down. The driveway is also slippery when wet.
    BUT we have a stupendous view over Lake Macquarie ...
    Have posted a pic - the slope is obvious and would be just about the same on your land
    Value of property has doubled since 2016

Attached Files:

6. Rudedog

Rudedog Member

We are on a slope... Facing bushland. Rebuilding will cost a bomb with the fire rating and all. But our recent landscaping work involved lots of planning around storm water design. With the rain in Sydney over the last few weeks, glad it's working out.

So stormwater and rising damp will be your main issues short term.

7. Man_needs_a_name

Man_needs_a_name Member

The slope is not as dramatic as yours, please see the pic. The house slab would be a meter+ from the street, but the house to the right and behind would be on a lower level.

The rear of the house is the second picture to give you guys an idea IMG_20220327_125959.jpg IMG_20220327_184454.jpg

8. Man_needs_a_name

Man_needs_a_name Member

I've some pictures added to another reply in this thread, care to comment please

9. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem like a serious slope. Just enough to add design possibilities if you rebuild.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Discuss potential site costs issues with a builder. Costs to level the slab are common and styrene blocks are often used. Its not a major slope. The current front yard seems to have very evident water drainage issues but that could all be cleared and corrected in the build. You need to consider where stormwater runs.

11. Rudedog

Rudedog Member

Slope does not look too bad. There are some really nice split-level designs that could work when you eventually rebuild One floor in the front, and two floors at the backyard :)

12. Man_needs_a_name

Man_needs_a_name Member

Thanks mate, I'm a bit more comfortable about making an offer after this thread