Technology & Social Media Buying mobile phone Outright or on Plan

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by L3ha7, 31st Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Hi PC members,

Do you buy your mobile phone outright and go wuth the cheapest prepaid byo phone plan or you do see value in getting a phone on the plan ?

Currently I am using Sansung S5 which got cracked/broken-I will see uf I can repair tge screen and body but if ine wants to ho with Samsung S8 -Is it worth buying outright or on the plan ? (Not into iphone-currently use as a work phone)

Perthguy likes this.
  2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

If you want to get a flash top of the line phone then a plan is usually the way forward.

If you're happy with the S5 then just go into Officeworks pick up a moto e4 for 200 bucks throw a sim in it and you'll be fine. Waaaaaaay cheaper than a plan and a fine phone.

Ed Barton and L3ha7 like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Try a cheap Huwei. They could about 30% of what the samsung would and are just as good.

Redwing and L3ha7 like this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It depends also on the amount of data you want.

It used to be that a phone on a 2 year plan had only 12 months warranty, and if the phone broke down after 12 months, you were stuck making payments. I think I heard that they had changed that.

But from a quick look- but I'm not sure what model S9 or memory.

Optus 2 year plan, Galaxy S9, 16GB plus free 16GB for the first 24 months. Total cost in two years, just over $2K.

Kogan Galaxy S9, 64GB, $999. Sim only plan, 23GB per month, $529 - buy one, get one free.

So a little bit of apples vs oranges, but you get the idea.

I've got a Moto G4 plus, with a 12 month plan from Kogan but much less data. I'm quite happy with the setup.

TMNT and Eric Wu like this.
  5. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

6. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

loads of good review re Moto G4 plus, it has the ability to add MicroSD, true dual SIM, I used to use it as well, can't complain. now using a Moto G5 plus. they well worth their price.

usually buying a phone outright + getting a SIM plan with one of Tels, Optus... is a good idea, value for money

L3ha7 likes this.
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Most $350 phones will do the job...just pair with a cheap plan like the unlimited calls/txt for $10 with Amaysim....how could you go wrong?

Redwing and hammer like this.
  8. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

All great suggestios/opinions-I will check Moto and Huwei series too.

At the moment I am with Optus sim only abd happy with data and unlimited calls, txts and overseas 300 mins.

I do not want to spend $2K or 900$ on a phone so will look into those options.

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

If you look hard enough, you can pick up a S8 for low 700s for Aussie stock

10. geoffw

Also check out the Kogan Agora phones. There's some pretty good bang for buck there.

hobartchic likes this.
  11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Back when phones were smaller and I was younger and more regularly publicly intoxicated I always had insurance (provided by the phone company). It was something like $10 pm and the excess something like $50. I lost so many phones that was a wise investment.

12. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

A few years ago I purchased my iphone outright and put it on a telstra $30 prepaid plan. I pair it with the home network so never run out of data.
    Around the same time my wife bought one on contract and was paying $80 p/m. She is now on a $35 Aldi via the Telstra network prepaid deal and has more data inc than I do. She has never had a problem with Aldi..

13. geoffw

Phone insurance for lower end devices is hardly worth it, at least not the one at retail stores. I was looking at damage insurance after being quoted $200 to replace the screen on a $230 device. Insurance on a similar phone was $78 with a $75 excess for screen damage. It's far cheaper to get a good cover and screen protector.

It's probably more worth while for more expensive devices. Product Insurance (DevicEnsure)

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Last couple of phones I've had, I've bought outright. I've found it's a much cheaper option in the long run.

wylie likes this.
  15. geoffw

Last year I bought a 365 day 5GB plan from Kogan for around $220. Now you can get 2 X 365 day 6GB plans for $300, about $12.50 per month per person. 2 X 365 day 16GB is $400, under $17 pp pm. So if you have 2 people to buy a plan, it works out very cheaply.

Scott No Mates and PJ1 like this.
  16. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

For a cheapie agree. If you've got an expensive phone and are careless it's probably worth it.

geoffw likes this.
  17. geoffw

And the more expensive phones have more expensive screen replacements. iPhone X $400. Galaxy S9+ $300. Pixel 2 $300.

Apple has their own Apple Care product, I'm not sure what that costs.

Certainly I recommend a good solid case and a screen protector- both have save me heaps.

Of course, that's only screen replacement, not for losses.

My loss insurance for travelling was to buy a low end model phone. (I also replaced my wedding ring for a steel band for travelling).

18. Guest

Guest Guest

If you go with one of the top carriers (e.g. Telstra, Optus, Vodafone) then typically a plan with phone included will be cheaper than buying the phone outright and signing up for equivalent plan with them.

However, if you are happy to switch to the cheaper carriers/resellers (e.g. amaysim, Kogan) for a sim only plan and then import your mobile from the cheapest overseas source, then you may be able to find cheaper.

There are too many variables to give you a definitive answer. You will need to work out what you need (from your provider) and then shop around. For example one of the reasons I stick with Vodafone is their plans that allow you to pay $5 a day to use the service overseas (including data).

Chill2205 and L3ha7 like this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Depends what you want to use the phone for - mine is calls and photographs only - so I buy the best pixel I can for less than $200 ... monthly prepaid fee of $40 ... and phones usually last me several years before dying

20. geoffw

You could be paying much less than that. Amaysim do $10pm for calls + 1GB data.

Lizzie likes this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF