Buying land that has electrical substation or box

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Deeps, 7th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Deeps

Deeps New Member

Hi All,
    We have like a land that has electrical box in it. Wanted advice on whether there are any health risks.
    Also does it affect the resale value. Is it ok to ask for more discount, if so how much?
    We are the first home buyer
    Thanks,

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Where is the box? Are you sure it’s not on the footpath? How big is it? Can you post a photo?

3. Deeps

Deeps New Member

Its an off the plan property in schofields and the box is in the corner inside the lot.

4. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Not enough data on either side. I will avoid if possible.

It will largely depend on market conditions at the time you will sell. It's always going to be less desirable than a block without it - hard to say by how much.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You are clearly concerned about it.
    As will be future buyers when you come to sell.

Best to avoid.
    Marg

d_walsh and balwoges like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depends if its one of the small green pillars or the larger substation ones...They can catch fire and are a hideous visual issue and must be kept visually cleared so no fence or gardens to hide it.. The small ones are less a concern.

But they can put them in some visually unimpressive locations

[​IMG]
    Better

Worse[​IMG]

Stoffo likes this.
  7. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

What others have already said.

When you come to sell it, you will encounter the same issues with prospect buyers.

8. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

They just installed one of those big ones out the front of a corner house on my street it is visually horrendous. My worst nightmare receiving a letter in the mail saying you will getting one of these out the front

9. Paul@PAS

NBN boxes, Cmux Tesltra cabinets, electricity boxes, post boxes and delivery cabinets......Mobile towers.. All can be installed without any approvals or actual objection. You lucky to get a letter.

I'm told there is one thing worse. A street crossing with a hump. EVERY vehicle all day and night goes bump, bump or screeches tyres. Council lady once told a neighbour who wanted calming devices to not wish for something he doesnt understand. Apparently when they go in all neighbours who asked for it then object.

Hmmm...Maybe a water main across backyard in a new dev. Can be dug up more times than Ferdinand Marcos with no efforts to make a nice job of it. Also a easement affecting land. Usually on plans so it is known when buying unlike the cabinets.

10. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Avoid. They are massive and unsightly.
    Someone at the end of my road has one in his front yard. It hums! Loudly..

11. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

We’ve financed a couple of these, no real issues and valuers haven’t had a problem. Buyers may have issues, some don’t mind or care if they’re located well and hidden away.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

First port of call will be Dial Before You Dig - to find out where the cables run. Just because the cables are unseen doesn't mean there are no effects.

13. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

Some people absolutely hate them (me included) and others do not care one bit about them. It does not affect your resale value if you are prepared to wait for the buyer that overlooks the power station and also loves your property but be aware you will receive lots of objections about it when potential buyers first notice it.

However should some evidence pop up in the future that proves they are an issue (not saying that they are) to peoples health it could then make a difference to your sale price.

And yes they do make a slight humming noise.

Regards,

alicudi

14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

inverse square law

ta
    rolf

15. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

It's one of those things that probably will not affect resale in a booming market. In a recession though it will have a greater impact. I've seen a house sell well in the last twelve months with one that was fenced and hidden from the house but I would avoid it, or make a offer with a significant discount.

16. Cy Mon

Cy Mon New Member

Hi @Deeps, good day. Just wondering if you went ahead to acquire the property, and if it did well for you.

I have a similar situation now in 2023.
    Appreciate for any information. Kind Regards.

17. Paul@PAS

Its a encumbrance on the land in every instance. Best avoided. There are a% of people who wont like it and wont consider the property. A valuer is possibly better armed with data on the issue. I know land developers offer lots affected by such things for a discount (or look for mug who cant read a plan). Same with some lots and easemnets. Can affect land use for a pool as an example

Cy Mon likes this.
  18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Where you will mortgage the house for a loan, some lenders won't like this

Cy Mon likes this.
  19. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

I have an nbn box in front of a property of mine. Would easily knock a couple of hundred grand off the value. It's a shocker