NSW Buying in Sutherland Shire as a POC

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by zeraussiul, 31st May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. zeraussiul

zeraussiul Active Member

Hey guys,

First time poster and going into a sensitive topic right away, so please tread softly. We're 30 y/o DINK, FHBs currently renting in the upper north shore. Looking to buy with a budget of around 1.4m-1.5m.

We drew a ring around the city with our criteria i.e a 35-45 minute commute by train to CBD, freestanding home on a modest plot (say 350-500sqm), green with nice tree cover, and good safe neighbourhoods/good schools for future kids.

The Shire comes towards the top TBH in our price range. In an ideal world we'd buy somewhere close by i.e Thornleigh, Normanhurst, Hornsby but these have moved past the 1.6m mark this year. If we went out west we're looking at places like Kings Langley (poor transport), Winston Hills (stretching our budget, poor transport), or the Kellyville Ridge/Stanhope Gardens/The Ponds area which is just way out for our liking. Places like Gymea, Kirrawee, Jannali all seem within reach though.

Cutting to the chase, we're south Asians and have always lived in areas where there is a decent cultural mix. However, I've only read about the Shire's reputation as an Anglo-enclave. We did a couple of drive-bys of the area and it seemed safe and quiet, but it did strike us as very vanilla (pun intended) and honestly presented a bit of a weird energy for a diverse city like Sydney. Miranda Westfield gave off similar vibes.

Are there other people of colour on here living/having lived in the Shire who can talk about life there? What kinds of challenges do you face day to day, if at all? Is the stereotyping of the area correct to an extent?

2. Onyx_OCAU

Onyx_OCAU Well-Known Member

Likewise not to be racist, but I would envision a greater cultural fit for you in Glenwood, Quakers Hill, Standhope Gardens et al of the areas you listed. Even Seven Hills, Toongabbie, Westmead, North Parra etc is more of a cultural mix encompassing the people that perhaps are more representative of your cultural identity.

3. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

It's not all that different and probably better than any other area in terms of racism and related issues. And there ain't any races that don't.
    If by south Asia you mean India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka then there doesn't seem to be that many in the area. Though a few from other areas of Asia. In the clubs/bar no one seems to really care.
    And if they steer clear, then more room for you.
    What like to do is to scout an area is go for a drive on a Sat night after 11pm.

Personally I would steer clear of the Miranda Westfiled area.
    I would look at Gymea, South Carringbah, Yowie, Woolaware, Sylvania Waters.
    Anything decent is expensive and you may find better value and similar community to the west.

Last edited: 31st May, 2021
    Stoffo and Loverenting like this.
  4. zeraussiul

zeraussiul Active Member

Thanks, I know these areas well and don't intend on moving there.

Appreciate the response, this is very helpful insight. I'm not looking to live near people from my background, but more interested in mixing with other cultural backgrounds. Granted the Shire isn't really suitable for this but offers really good value. I'll probably do as you advised - do more drive bys, attend more open homes, visit the bars, restaurants etc more. We're in no hurry to buy so doing this due diligence would help.

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Just remember you are fhbs in a rising market with a limited budget.

some duplexes would have 350-500 sqmland.

6. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Here's something I did years ago on recommendation from a friend.
    Walk down the main street and smile and say hello/g'day to everyone you come across.
    If they talk, engage. Tell them you're looking around thinking of moving in the area and ask them about it.
    Regardless of how snooty locals are (and many are in Cronulla) you will get an idea of how friendly the locals really are.
    You may also find that they are more friendly than the "down to earth" suburbs.

craigc, MikeyBallarat, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  7. zeraussiul

zeraussiul Active Member

Agreed, duplexes are in our line of sight. Not ruling them out at all.

Thanks that's smart and very helpful. Will definitely give that a shot.

8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

We lived in the Lower North Shore (Mosman) for 16 years before moving to the Shire...and I buy lots of property here! Feel free to give me a call for a chat if you like.

- Andrew

9. zeraussiul

zeraussiul Active Member

Thanks Andrew, I'll take you up on that shortly.

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

11. D&J

D&J Well-Known Member

In familiar with the area having grown up in the St George area.

After living in the inner west for the last little while and seeing better value in the shire went to check out some places recently.

The whole day out I don't think I saw a single asian.

It doesn't matter how cheap, I decided it's just not the area for me. I'm not suggesting people were snobbish or anything like that but being in an area like the Inner West with places like Marrickville makes me realise how much I value and want my kids to grow up in a culturally diverse neighbourhood.

12. zeraussiul

zeraussiul Active Member

We did another drive by yesterday and are tending towards this angle too. It's a lovely area, but not sure if it's for us.

13. Blessing Matshaka

Blessing Matshaka Well-Known Member

I am African and have friends ( of the same race) who moved to Miranda about a year ago because of work. They seem to be settling in very well, their baby started going to day care about a month ago. They seem to love living in the area, not that I have ever had a focussed conversation with them but never heard them complain. But again, they are renting and not home owners if that makes any difference. I guess also de funds what’s important to you as a person.