Buying in an area subject to termite infestation?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Do Androids Dream, 9th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Do Androids Dream

Do Androids Dream Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Would you consider buying a property in an outer south-east Melbourne area subject to termite infestation?

I've negotiated a clause that includes a building and pest inspection within 7 days of signing the contract. Agent and vendor deny the property has been affected now or in the past and the property is quite new, but an insurance company provider has me spooked. I've walked away from flood and bush fire affected areas in the past...

Is this worth the risk, or am I being just being an overly cautious newbie?

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Sorry but subject to a termite infestation? Are you actually wanting the vendor to invest the property with termites?

If you are asking if you should do a B&P or just a B and forget the P this is your call.

I prefer to do B&P you never know what there might be even if it isn't a hot spot for termites.

albanga likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Anywhere in Melbourne can get termites. E.g. My area is not a declared termite area, but houses have had termites.

I'd be more concerned about access for annual inspections, are there any termite barriers in place etc.

Bryan Loughnan and wylie like this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

The agent can't disclose what they do not know, and the vendor may not know either, so yes, do a B&P check seeing your new.

Most of Australia can have termites.

wylie likes this.
  5. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Haha @Big Will I'd love to see that contract.

"500k subject to termite to infestation". Prior to settlement you get a B&P to make sure it does have termites. Who knows, maybe a developer trying to save on demo costs.

Big Will likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Also, even new houses can be affected.

A friend bought a new house 6 years ago and it got termites in the wooden flooring twice in the first five years! Because it wasn't in a termite declared area, the builder didn't have to use termite protection...

Don't proceed without an inspection.

Whitecat likes this.
  7. Bryan Loughnan

Bryan Loughnan Well-Known Member

Anywhere on mainland Australia can be affected by termites. Obviously certain areas are more susceptible than others. Do a Building and Pest inspection then review and create a strategy based on those results. Buying a property where the house has live termites crawling through it is completely different to buying a property which a back fence or an old tree stump has signs of previous termite damage. Regular termite inspections/treatments are just like insurance on your family home. Plenty of different levels and you should do what you are comfortable with.

8. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

All of BNE is termite territory.
    My house has a termite barrier - that I got the pest guy to put in.
    Termite inspection every 12mths to make sure they haven't breached the barrier, and more Termidor every 8 years. Totally worth the cost.

Whitecat and mikey7 like this.
  9. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I bought in an infested area. B&P said there were termites in the yard, but none in house. I got a barrier installed straight away for peace of mind. Well worth $2300 IMO.

Gockie, RJS and sharon like this.
  10. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I agree. For timber houses is not a matter of if but when. Unless you get protection put in

sharon likes this.
  11. Do Androids Dream

Thank you for all of your thoughtful and the couple of hilarious replies :p

I'm hearing from you all that the risks of termites are almost everywhere in Victoria and can be managed.

I guess my question is whether, as an investor, I should be venturing into a deal to buy a property where it is a council declared termite area and managing the risks annually....

... or just cut my losses and find another property that isn't in a declared risk area?

I like the property and believe I've negotiated a good deal but at the end of the day, there are always other properties that are not council declared risk areas and might be easier to sell if I need to quickly offload.

And obviously another property I buy in a non-affected area could still be affected in the future but it's a mitigated risk.

Decisions, decisions... this property business can be tough

Last edited: 10th Nov, 2016
  12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would disregard the idea of an area with termites, and one without. So the one without is one where no reports have been done ?

As others have said, termites can be everywhere, and if they are not here today, they can be tomorrow.

Termites are not the end of the world, if your worried, after you own you can put whatever barriers or treatments in place that you wish.

If this sort of thing worries you, maybe property is not for you, or look for steel frame or double brick so there is less timber to attack.

13. Do Androids Dream

Beautiful... thank you again for all your replies! I've made a decision after reading your replies and speaking to my mortgage broker (Rolf) and a VIC pest expert. I'd totally recommend this to any newbies by the way.

I've decided to proceed with the B&P and follow their advice as most of you suggested, so thank you!!!

Dabbler, thanks for your common sense approach! Yes, after this experience, I was wondering if this property business is really me or not. But the strange thing is... I liked learning from this new experience, trusting my supports and coming to the conclusion that: I'm addicted to property and I can't wait to buy my next one!!!!:p

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Also, remember that whether an area in Victoria is declared or not bears little relation to the number of termites.

dabbler likes this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Unless the termites are wearing glasses and therefore, might be able to read... I'd buy a good property and manage the risk (because the termites haven't read the council report). :D:p

We get our pest chappie to check our houses once a year. They are timber houses on stumps so it is easy to see if the little blighters are trying to eat them and we don't really need to do the barrier and topping up thing.

dabbler likes this.
  16. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

How do I know whether the house in Vic is in Termite declared area or not? Is it from section 32? Thanks!

17. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

LOL - every single state is subject to termite infestation. Even if a house had signs of termites in the past it doesnt mean its been damaged at all.

You need to get a termite and pest report done with a heat gun to check for active termites. If its clear or even if it had termites in the past but they are no longer active and there is no or minimal damage there is no reason not to buy the house.

Every single house can get attacked by termites in every city or state.

Joynz likes this.
  18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Ask the Council.