Buying Grandparents House

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by SJ34, 18th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SJ34

SJ34 Member

Hi Everyone,

Long time reader, decided to reach out as the best approach to an opportunity.

Unfortunately my grandparents are to a point (93yo's) where they will shortly be looking to move out of their 3 bed, 1 bath, 2 car garage on 950m2 in Frankston. As someone looking to get into the market, it was presented to me an option to purchase their home. Im keen to do so as a bit of sweat equity via some home reno's could help realize some potential. House in very good shape just dated, (think lino floors and olive carpet + walls).

Any advice as to the most cost effective way to approach this. Obviously not looking to take advantage of the grandparents and pay fair price, but surely there's got to be a way to leverage this into a win win?

Lastly, i have the thought about changing what is the sun room into a new master with ensuite. Worth the effort? Or better to keep as is.

I would be a first home buyer looking to make PPOR for at least 12 months then potentially sell or turn into IP.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Is it a preCGT property?
    Do they have to sell?

SJ34 likes this.
  3. SJ34

SJ34 Member

After a quick google of this (sorry, still a newbie) yes, it’s from well before 1985 so pre cgt.

And yes, they need to sell as they need the money to move into their retirement community.

4. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Sad to see oldies lose their houses as they move into old ppls homes.

Hope it stays in the family

SJ34 likes this.
  5. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Are the grandparents trying to help you?
    Or you are trying to help yourself to their property?

I have to apologies if I am too direct.

Joynz and SJ34 like this.
  6. SJ34

SJ34 Member

No apologies needed. Sadly they arent in a position where they are making their own decisions, hence why grandma cant stay alone in the house much longer (grandpa already in nursing home). The decisions are being made by the three daughters of which all are onboard as they would be selling anyway. The circumstance has arisen where they will need to sell the house. Im not looking for a handout at all. Definitely not trying to help myself, her well being is the main priority, but also trying workout if there is a way to structure this whole thing fairly so that everybody wins.

Have discussed establishing market value through an average of multiple appraisals, deducting any fee's and costs out of it, and then that is the price I would pay directly to them. I am trying to develop a plan around it all at this stage to present to everyone involved. Hope that makes sense?

Gen-Y likes this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

In this case, if you have siblings, or cousins who may also like to purchase the house, I'd hope the three daughters are all happy that you buy the house. Is there another cousin or sibling of yours who might also like to buy it?

If not, then I'd suggest to pay $500 or so for a valuation. That shows to anyone, any time in the future, that you didn't look for appraisals that support a lower price, because you would be paying a totally independent valuer. Then pay that price. You will never have to justify why you got a discount.

Marg4000 and Gen-Y like this.
  8. SJ34

SJ34 Member

Everything about getting old is sad! Its a tough time and never easy, but to put in perspective they have done very well to be self sufficient in their own home up to 93!

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

+1 on this. It will be more accurate and more legit than getting a few REA valuations.

Stoffo, Joynz and Gen-Y like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not only will you use the valuation for the price that you will eventually pay but also as justification for stamp duty and claiming any FHBG.

11. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

What Wylie and Westminster said is true.
    Great advice given. :)

SJ34 and Joynz like this.
  12. Terry_w

I have a client who did this recently. You have to be very careful about buying from an elderly relative as there will be potential allegations of taking advantage of them. this will be the case even if you pay market value and the children of the grandparents all agree. Some more distant family members won't like it.

So I would suggest 3 separate valuations and average them out. Also make sure there is a contract of sale and you should each use different solciitors.

Angel, SJ34, Joynz and 1 other person like this.
  13. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Totally agreed. Don't let a property spoil the relationship in a family. I know there are exceptions but I see more commonalities when someone in the family being perceived to taking advantage.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are your grandmother and grandfather not being given any say?

15. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

If as you say you are going to pay market price minus agents fees the what is the benefit of you to purchasing the property? Surely you want a discount otherwise you could pay market price for any other property and not limit yourself to just this one. If getting a discount the I can see the benefit but otherwise you should decide if there are better options at the price point.

Terry_w likes this.
  16. SJ34

SJ34 Member

Well for a start, it removes the agents slice, plus any marketing cost, plus cost of getting it sale ready.

17. SJ34

SJ34 Member

Ofcourse they are. Its a case of when the inevitable happens. Why sell it to anyone, when you could sell within the family.

spoon likes this.
  18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It’s just that it sounded like the decisions were being made by the daughters so I wondered if they were no longer able to make decisions themselves - and if there was an enduring power of attorney activated?

19. SJ34

SJ34 Member

I feel like I should re-iterate.... grandparents well being is number 1, and it is in agreement with all family members. Not going to bore everyone with all the circumstances but this will happen in the next couple of months regardless if I'm involved or not. Id rather leave the personal/emotional/family side of things out of this discussion as it under control not exactly the issue at hand. Having said that, I really appreciate everyone's input regarding the property side of things and am open to discussion around how people may have approached this in the past or if there's a best approach theoretically.

Terry_w likes this.
  20. Terry_w

an alternative for the grandparents could be to keep the property and rent it to you and the retirement home could be funded from a related party loan. It saves the stamp duty, gives greater asset protection and the property will be free from CGT still.

SJ34 likes this.