Buying direct with a twist

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Mogul, 7th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mogul

Mogul Active Member

I have 2 scenarios that I am not quite sure on.

1. Property advertised by seller initially. I made contact with that seller. The property mustn't have sold and now its advertised by an agency. Can I buy direct with the seller seeing as I have made contact prior to the property now being sold by the agent? Would I have to wait until the contract the seller has with that agent is finished?

2. If I heard about a property possibly coming available for sale by an agent, then the agent tells me the property is no longer going to come available for sale, am I allowed to approach the property directly and see if a direct deal can be done?

2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

1. It's totally dependent on the type of Form 6 agreement signed by the agent and seller. Most agents will protect themselves with an exclusive agency which guarantees them payment on settlement, but given the owner was self-selling they may be more likely to have negotiated an open or sole agency.

2. Absolutely!!! The agent will probably be cranky, but there's nothing stopping you from contacting the seller if you can get their details.

Mogul likes this.
  3. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

This is a problem for the seller not you. If you are in the wrong you will be told but otherwise no downside.

Ask for forgiveness not permission.

Tom Rivera and Mogul like this.