Buying access to a driveway?

Discussion in 'Development' started by jodes, 22nd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

Hi all, not sure if this is the right topic to post under so please let me know if not!

We have an IP in Ballarat central which has loads of street parking but no parking. Our tenant recently had her number plates stolen off the back of her car (unbeknownst to her until the cops returned the one morning) which made us wonder- how could we add parking to our property?

The house next to us has quite a large drive way and we have plenty of room in the back. We've noticed around Ballarat most properties in the older areas have a shared driveway that leads to their respective properties. Does anyone have any experience in getting access to a drive way? It wouldn't be very difficult to add a gate to our fence to allow cars to access... The hurdle is obviously getting the neighbour to agree/ having it legally set up. Would we pay a sum? How does this work from a titles perspective? What can I google to find out more? (So far my googling has come up with very good results...)

Thanks so much in advance!

2. 3712

3712 Member

You will either need to create a ROW or buy a portion of the neighbour's land to use as your driveway to to the rear yard- where i assume you will create a parking area. To do all this needs consolidation and new subdivision, registering with titles office. a good registered surveyor can help you with all this.