Buying a new car

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Beelzebub, 2nd Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

My favourite is the 996 gt3 RS in green, black wheels with yellow callipers. Love em all.
    If I didn't enjoy driving and racking up km, i'd invest in cars instead of houses.

Daniel007 likes this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I rebuilt and had all sorts of cars when young, I also decided to buy a property so all the money was not gone as cars suck money (nothing like boats though), not so bad if you buy a nice one and just drive it, doing them up costs the $$$

So you do what you feel gives you balance or what you want, I do not see any point in a third property now if you really want the car, I would think that is more normal than my thoughts that are bugger the car, get another property :)

You should see some of the agents when they see my jelopy, I am sure some think I would not qualify for a loan.....ha ha ha

Adele and Barny like this.
  3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Crikey, how many people do you know that bought one?

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Whats the best way to pull out money to use for toys?

Elives likes this.
  5. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

The 996 TT or GT3 would've been a great investment - 2001/2 TT was around the $80k mark not too long ago, now easily a $120k proposition any day of the week. Ditto 99/00 GT3, around the $90k mark and now gawd knows what they're worth especially some purists preferred the earlier pre-facelifted ones. Or air cooled...993 have gone on for years now the 964 headed the same way - up.

Maintenance aren't that bad either, it's on par to an entry level AMG/M/RS car.

Barny likes this.
  6. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

So many Porsche models have gone up in value over the last few years. It's not only Porsches as I follow the Market regularly. I have 28 cars (lower price buy in under 65k) on my list that are about to rise in value, happens around the 25 year mark that they become collectable with certain criteria.
    Some of those 28 cars have already jumped up in price since the past 12 months when I wrote it up, some dropped.

Interesting thing about some of the Porsches, and other collectable cars, are asking 3-4 times the price in a short period of time. This was exactly what happened just before the last gfc that occurred. It's my direct link to the market has gone mad with cheap credit.

Back to the op, if you can afford it, do it. Everthing is about balance.
    To light a candle is to cast a shadow.

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

i know of a person who owns over 200 collectable vintage motor vehicles with 2 full time mechanics to maintain. looks like you can make money from "depreciating" assets.

Barny likes this.
  8. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Relevant quote from fast and furious - 'Life's simple - you make choices and you don't look back'

I'm a car guy and looking to upgrade to an Audi RS3 as soon as the warranty runs out on the S3. Every morsel of brain cell is screaming how ridiculous that premium is for essentially the same car - but - have you heard those things?! and a hatchback that will show a 911 its place at the lights :)

These are the things in life that puts in perspective why you've worked hard and made sacrifices over time - and motivate you to continue doing so

Don't even try and justify the price, costs and depreciation. It will never make sense until you're sweeping through a windy country road on a Sunday afternoon :)

chylld, Bentley, AndrewTDP and 5 others like this.
  9. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

I think with any asset class, when you've picked the right one with the right provenience then it will always go up though I think with cars, enjoyment comes first then the financial reward is just a bonus.

10. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

A handful, met most of them through the aussieexotics forum and cars & coffee shows.

Is the R32 GTR on the list?

11. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Was on another list years ago. Only the 100 Australian delivered versions. I had an import gtr32, great cars.

12. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Wise choice Simon. I've had my eye on the RS3 too. It's a beautiful car and the soundtrack once you put your foot down is amazing. I've driven the Golf R and it was impressive. But no match for the RS3. Go for it mate! You deserve it. :)

Simon L likes this.
  13. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

From what I understand there are less than 100 left as quite a few have been written off. So that means they are even more rare.

Barny likes this.
  14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

270 kw / 0-100 in 4.3 sec... crazy.
    Simon, are you sure your next car won't be an Audi RS Q3? ;)

15. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Looking at a 2015 plated top of the range outlander. Need something practical for the surfboards and the occasional dirt track.

I would never buy a European car. I think I will stick to the Japanese brands.

Being relatively young I don't want people thinking I have all this money I don't really have by driving an Audi SUV or something... Or even worse, people thinking I'm trying to make them think I'm well off. Kind of like what I think of the real estate agent in his 20s who rocks up in a BMW... Come on mate.

larrylarry and Bran like this.
  16. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Many younger than us have passed on from heart attacks etc @Beelzebub, live the dream while you can.
    I'm spending ~10k IO interest savings/part deposit etc on a 2wk trip with my son to Japan next week.
    Go For It!

larrylarry likes this.
  17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Are you still doing Cairns? Is that thread still around??

Have fun in Japan, it's meant to be crazier than it seems :)

18. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Audi are known for underquoting their performance stats for RS models to avoid upstaging the next level up (RS5, Rs6, RS7, R8 etc). The RS3 has been consistently recorded as 0-100 in 3.9 sec :eek:

I test drove the RSQ3 and didn't like it! Felt more like a marketing product than a proper RS car

19. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

For the luxury car buyers, do you have a rule of thumb of how much you spend relative to earnings or assets? e.g. max value of car < 50% of annual income etc

Edit: Thinking of pulling the trigger on the S3 this year, but am in love with the RS3 Sedan which won't be available for awhile...decisions decisions :(

Elives likes this.
  20. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Damn! My wife and I were thinking about getting a new GT3 RS. We should have ordered one. Ah well, i'll keep my eye out in future.

Being a car and bike guy, they're fantastic cars although they don't match the performance of a current litre bike. My Ducati Panigale's (road and race bikes) annihilate almost every road car at a fraction of the price.

Perhaps we need a new sub-forum for all of us car/bike people as there seems to be many of us here at PC. What does everyone think?

Daniel007, Barny and Sonamic like this.