Buying a land/old house with friends to build few town houses

Discussion in 'Development' started by rooster123, 12th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. rooster123

rooster123 Well-Known Member

We are 4 friends looking to buy a land/old house (in Syd) to build 4 town houses there.
    => Is it possible to get loan split equally?
    We are in initial stage of understanding process, feasibility so any inputs are highly appreciated.

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Many threads here about the hows and the cons..... do a search for joint ventures, or developing with friends or family

3. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Sounds like a disaster story... if you can't do it by yourself don't do it at all. TRUST ME

Archaon and dabbler like this.
  4. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    As the above mentioned, developing with friends or family can be... interesting. Regarding the loan side of things, yes, Commonwealth specifically offers a product for this purpose. You can also create it using equity guarantees from every party with a few other banks.

5. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

I suggest you do a feasibility before anything else. You'll probably find that nothing is stacking up for smaller sites in sydney metro with current land values.

6. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Those who have never developed before with others will tell you don't do it.
    As long as you have a plan in place including a detailed exit strategy (I would suggest you must sell all of them) then developing with others can be a great way to make some big money at a reduced risk.

To further reduce the whole "I'm doing more" simply hire a project manager. It will eat into your profits but may be worth it.

I have developed with my brother and it was the best financial decision I ever made. I did all the work but was more than happy to do so as I now have a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

ej89 and SOULFLY3 like this.