Buying a house right above future NorthConnex Tunnel

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by William W, 12th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. William W

William W Active Member

This is quote from NorthConnex Website:

'As part of the tunnel preparation, NorthConnex is using modern and safe technology in the form of controlled blasting to excavate shafts leading to the tunnels. This will bring considerable benefits to the local community including significant noise reduction and accelerated construction time for tunnel shaft excavation'

'When compared to tunnelling with tunnel boring machines (TBM), roadheaders have a clear advantage for the NorthConnex project as TBMs can only bore a round hole. Since the NorthConnex tunnel is a twin tunnel project designed to house a road, the diverse cutting range of a roadheader is needed to make the right cut while maintaining efficient spoil management'

I'm not sure if they only blasting specific sections.

bob shovel likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@bob shovel - construction is a blast :confused:

bob shovel likes this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I don't play basketball but with a court like this on the property...i might just shoot hoops!

4. William W

William W Active Member

yeah, i used to play basketball a lot back in uni days. now haven't picked up the ball for 3 years. Would be good to get back to shape

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Reads as though just the shafts, good Googlising :) Road header probably a bit gentler than a tbm but much of a muchness. Sydney sand stone is very strong! Pretty much concrete mpa strength wise. So blasting makes sense, the greenies would have been terrified and would have been a drama to get through. Worked under bondi with a tbm going and from memory the sandstone was around 40mpa, footpath 25mpa and structural concrete 32-50mpa

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

7. Scott No Mates

I'd like to see the resale on this site once Northconnex is complete and there's no uncertainty. A very strong result @ $2.21m

8. William W

William W Active Member

I can't believe it went for that much, really dissapointed. Smashed the suburb record. I was speaking to the agent 10min prior to auction and he was saying no one has mentioned the 2mil mark. Personally i was still very wary of the tunnel but the 3 aussie blokes doesn't seem to care at all. Guess have to keep looking, thanks for all your help!

9. Hamid

Hamid New Member

I'm posting a new comment here after 3 years, I'm going to make an offer for a property exactly top of the NorthConnex tunnel, but I'm wary about the vibration and noise and also price of the property after opening the tunnel to traffic. has somebody any advice for me please?

10. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

What sort of advice were u after?

There are two entry/exits so which specific area?

I used to reside at Pearces Corner so might be able to offer some insight..

11. Scott No Mates

• How deep is the tunnel below the house?
    • Have you got a title search indicating the stratum?
    • What sort of wheels under cars/trucks cause vibration? I believe that both cars and truck now use pneumatic tyres which are relatively soft unlike the wheels on train bogies & track.
    • Have you performed any searches on the Northconnex website to identify the property?
    • Go to the site above the M2 (in North Epping) and check if there is an acceptable level of vibration/noise.
    • Prices are generally subdued due to the uncertainty factor, once the road opens everything becomes a known quantity. Are you willing to take the punt that there is minimal noise/vibration and that the price will be reflective of minimal affectation?

Dan Wood likes this.
  12. Hamid

Hamid New Member

The property is in the Stevens street in the Pennant Hills, my concerns are vibration/noise and affecting the price(are these properties cheaper than the neighbors)?

13. Scott No Mates

Dan Wood likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

15. Scott No Mates

16. Scott No Mates

upload_2019-12-12_8-53-43.png

Different location but more tunnels

17. Vickit

Vickit New Member

Morning All,

My son's are looking to buy a unit at Alexandria, Sydney Metro Tunnels have been built 40 metres below, completed in February of this year, wondering if it may lead to cracking or problems in the years to come, once the metro begins in maybe 2024..or earlier...waiting on Strata to advise if they received a post construction report on this property..worries me...any advice ? thanks Vicki

18. matt_j

matt_j Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm currently looking at a property in Sydenham and wondering if anyone can shed any light on the new M5 tunnel link being built below ground there? I believe the house will have the tunnel beneath it, or the house next door will

19. Scott No Mates

Have a look at the westconnex website. There see detailed maps of the route, similar to the ones shown above.

20. matt_j

matt_j Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott. I should have been more specific as I've checked out the maps.

Does anyone live in a nearby property or heard stories from friends etc that can share any insights or experiences around noise, issues etc?