Buying a house over North East Link tunnel?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by BBB210, 10th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BBB210

BBB210 New Member

New to this forum- we are looking to buy in Rosanna/Viewbank/Heidelberg areas, and saw a house we liked. However the proposed tunnel goes right under it....any advice on whether we should just steer clear?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Steer clear!! (at least until thing is built and prices settle)

The Y-man

3. BBB210

BBB210 New Member

Cheers, should we stay away from anything in the proposed zone of influence from r the tunnel then? Or just anything that looks like it'll be right over it? Hard to know as nothing finalised!

4. The Y-man

I would stay right away.

The mullum tunnel in Donvale shows even eyars after build, houses over the tunnel are still cheaper than the rest.

The Y-man

5. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

I would steer clear. Last year I was under the same situation and was looking to buy my PPOR. The choice was between Rosanna/Viewbank in North East and Vermont/Vermont South in East.

Finally I settled for East. You can never go wrong with Rosanna/Viewbank as it is closer to the city. But most of the houses on marker at that time were either on or close to the proposed tunnel. I did have a chat with some of my friends who are civil engineers and design tunnels across Australia. Their view was it is more of a problem during construction, and probably lesser a problem after. However there can still be issues with vibration/noise etc. after it gets built. Another point mentioned by my friends was that during the design process tunnel path can change and that might affect houses around the proposed path

6. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

When buying a place to live, especially off another owner occupier, it is important to question why they are selling especially in the current environment. Are you taking on the stress/pain of another just to get your foot in the door.

Speaking from the mind of someone who used to live on a main road. You could live in the best suburb but if the tunnel starts causing you problems you may experience alot of sleepless nights thinking if you made the right decision just to save on a few bucks and who may even want to buy it off you in the future when you've had enough. You could try to make lemonade, but the tunnel will still be there 50-100-200-1000 years time.

7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Are you sure that's not because of the power transmission lines at the eastern end? There's also a lot of industrial space around there, I don't imagine it will ever do well for residential purposes.

At the western end there's a fair amount of noise which you'd get from any freeway, despite the noise barriers.

Directly over the tunnel, there's a large reserve. Some of the houses boarding the reserve on massive blocks and many are luxury mansions, right on the edge of the bush. I'd love to live in some of these places.

All that aside, I haven't actually tracked the house prices directly over the tunnel. I can confirm that prices 1.5km away are doing just fine though. ;)

8. The Y-man

Could just be the lie of the land (steep) but that pocket south of the tunnel (Lisbeth/Rangeview/Chippewa) always seem cheaper by the sqm.....

The Y-man

9. Peter_Tersteeg

Hard to say really. There's a lot of diversity in types of property and price points. There's also a lot of different factors which the tunnel probably affects, but others where the reserve over the tunnel is likely a positive.

I've been walking the dog in the area since the tunnel was built. You wouldn't want to live near the entrances, but directly over the tunnel you wouldn't even know it was there.

10. The Y-man

Damn, so that's the yellow water that drips on my windscreen very time I drive through it.... :eek::eek:

The Y-man

11. Peter_Tersteeg

If you get the dog to drop the number 2 down the ventilation pipe, you don't have to pick it up!

Too much???

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.