VIC Buying 1st investment property in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Azzy, 4th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azzy

Azzy Member

Hi every one. I just joined this forum and I am Getting a lot of useful information about investing. I am not very happy with My journey so far. Came to Australia 9 years ago. I Was able to buy ppor (3 bed brick home) 3 years ago with 20% deposit around 600k near bundoora mill park area. Last year I had a deposit of investment home around 150k with 450k loan approved but was waiting to buy as markets were slowing down. Overall I feel I have not achieved anything perhaps missed many opportunities just by looking and not actually investing in areas like mernda, doreen and wollert where land prices almost doubled in last 4 to 5 years. However now I am thinking to buy first investment quickly. My goal is capital growth and can afford around 1k negative gearing max.
    Looking at few options .
    1. House and land in mernda or doreen for 550k. 4.2.2 home. Thinking of buying new so can claim depreciation to save tax and rely on capital growth long term.
    2.donnybrook lands 400sq for 285k with title next year. I am assuming land price will increase. Can sell land after title if goes up big time. Just need to pay 5% now.
    2. 3 bed townhouse in South morang near station or a 2 bed townhouse near reservoir under 550k.

Any advice which can help me go to right direction will be appreciated.

2. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

None of the above.

Welcome to the forum.

Look at Epping, near the trains.

Or look around Geelong.

Mouse and korando1234 like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

There's 2 x option 2's..... :D

Out of those, I'd only be comfortable with the second option 2 - 3br t/h Sth Morang, but house as per @Westie would be better - as long as it's in reach of the stations or a 7-day-dawn-to-late-night bus. Sth morang station basically touches Epping, South Morang, and Mill Park.

The Y-man

4. Azzy

Azzy Member

Thank you guys for your advices. I will keep an eye on epping old homes. I saw a few on sale with big lands but they in court so need to enquire with council if it can be subdivided.
    I have also noticed thomastown had biggest hit last year with 8% drop and still struggling a bit. It's next suburb to reservoir with 2 freeway entrances. Close to cbd. May be good option for long term investment in a old house with decent land. People will be priced out of reservoir and will move to thomo one day.

5. Azzy

Azzy Member

Welcome to the forum.

Look at Epping, near the trains.

Or look around Geelong.[/QUOTE]
    Which part of Geelong do you think?

6. The Y-man

There's no way in heck I wold have picked those areas either!! Granted Mernda/Doreen now have trains, but I still don't get Wollert (hey don't get me wrong, I have Stockland shares but still...)

The Y-man

ashish1137 likes this.
  7. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

if you have missed the boat, what makes you think you would see the same growth as you have seen already.

donnybrook: can you target a seller in need to move out of a contract where the contract was signed end 2017 to mid 2018 and below or at contract price, by all means, go for it.

south morang is always in demand, you will not go wrong with it but no one can predict growth and yield. And I am not an inner or middle ring guy. I love outskirts. :D

What happens if assumption goes wrong? May be check more Victoria threads to see what others are doing in similar boat as you.

Regards

8. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

:mad:

I bought a 287 sq mt lot in Jan 2017 and building an 18 square home for 390k. :p
    I know the growth is slow and no sign if it is going to be rented out. But I might have got about 15% to 20% still on purchase price, I reckon. ;)
    I myself have a better example to give but it is not bad ehh!

Luca likes this.
  9. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Do your homework first, once you've narrowed things down, come back to this thread and ask.

10. Azzy

Azzy Member

Ok

11. househuntn

househuntn Well-Known Member

Sis is looking in Epping atm. Apart from the central area near the centre and train (probably too expensive), so much of Epping is courts and odd shaped land, I don't see much growth drivers or potential (eg subdivide) aside from riding the wave of growth from Reservoir/Thomastown?

12. Azzy

Azzy Member

Hi. Agree with last line you said. Over the years prices will be up no matter what. I give you an example. 3 years ago 1 home in mill park passed in .asking was 570. They were happy to sell at 525. They couldn't sell. Same owners done little reno and sold last week for 745000. House is 4 bed 25 years old. Land is 600. I end up buying another property in same area at that time which is still not bad as its grown over 120k.

13. The Y-man

One thing I think I have learnt over the years (and you have I think discovered) is NOT to wait "in case the market goes down", but to find somewhere where the market IS down.... it's the old go to an open and if you hear crickets and a lonely agent, that's the place :)

The Y-man