Buyer wants yet another inspection - was I wrong saying no?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Lizzie, 1st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We're in the process of selling - had offer - accepted - contracts drawn up - the buyers have already had 3 inspections - the last inspection was 3 hours of me sitting in a car full of dogs up the road.

Real estate just rang as purchaser has asked if he can come back tomorrow (Saturday) for another inspection to simply "check all the inclusions are listed on the contract".

I said no - tell him I have people coming to visit and it's not convenient and that I will send a complete list of the inclusions (dishwasher, pool pump and pool equipment, aircon, clothesline, washing machine in flat, vineyard/house/yard water pumps etc).

Actually is, after deep cleaning the house 2-3 times as week during showings the house currently looks like a bombsite and I really don't want to spend the rest of today and tomorrow cleaning and mowing 2 acres of lawn for an inclusion list - being a Saturday the whole family and dogs would need to be removed - and we do have visitors coming later that afternoon.

Was I just being a bustard?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is the contracted signed and now locked in? My mother used to say two inspections was good, and if a purchaser requested a third inspection that usually meant they were getting cold feet. But if they have already had that third inspection and signed a contract, then I'd be telling the agent the reason you've put here, and offer up the list of inclusions like you've suggested.

I'm guessing if they are not locked in yet, you could explain it is messy and needs mowing, but if they haven't signed off you don't want them to see past the "beautifully presented, just move right in" and realise "there is a LOT of mowing here" or see a messy house and put doubts into their heads.

If it is not a done deal yet, then I'd bite the bullet and let them through. We once snaffled a house because it didn't have ant caps. Mum once lost a sale because they didn't like the paint trim colours and another time because the young daughter (aged under ten years) didn't like the bedroom that would be hers.

I'm always amazed at the things that can turn a buyer off. Maybe just do the last clean up and final mow before locking them in? (You can cuss and curse whilst doing that final clean up and that will help you feel better. It works for me :D.)

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No, you are not a bustard (in relation to this anyway). If the property is in NSW and the standard contract used the buyer only has a right to 1 inspection just before settlement.

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I sent the real estate (to forward on) and the conveyancer a very detailed list of inclusions ... with a couple of dozen things the buyer probably didn't even think of (asides from the usual dishwasher, pool equipment etc) ... like listing all the various pumps separately (vineyard irrigation, house, yard, backup diesel) - tennis court net - bio cycle sprinkler and hoses - reo mesh shed walls - padlock,chain and key for timber gate, washing machine/upright cooker in unit ... blah blah blah

Hopefully that will keep them happy and show that I'm not trying to rip them off.

Also mentioned few things that aren't included - like portable fire pit bowl ... ie ... nothing exciting

Paul@PAS likes this.
  5. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Wait, you're selling your property? I completely missed this.

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Have contracts already exchanged @Lizzie?

Either way - you're not being unreasonable. Three inspections is overkill.

My only concern is that if contracts haven't exchanged yet - I guess it's in your best interest to keep them happy...but sending them the inclusion list should surely be enough!

Cheers

Jamie

wylie likes this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

No. Buyers should have done whatever they need within that 3 inspections.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are you charging them rent with the amount of time they're spending at your place?

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - was a tough and easy decision.

Cash up Sydney buyers are wanting to buy ... real estate friend whispered that the property is now worth 50% more than what we paid for it 3 years ago ... listed it without advertising ... sold within 4 weeks ... could've sold it within 4 days as first looker loved it, until she realised she could see her exes house on a distant hill (apparently really bitter split)

Sad to leave but means we can pay out home mortgage - pay out mortgages on two IPs - and still have enough over to pay cash for another farm nearby, albeit yet another reno job on a smaller block of land and without the magnificent views ... means hubby can cut back to 3 days a week work - no point in him stopping completely until junior finished school

Our settlement isn't until Feb17 - so enough time to get another garlic crop in - out sold - find somewhere to live - and still leave enough time to prep for 2017 garlic planting wherever we move to

10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

So will still be around? Will garlic be around?

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - at this stage we will still be garlick-ing

moyjos, Marg4000 and EN710 like this.
  12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

No, sounds like buyer is being intrusive to me.

Inspections at opens or by appointment until contract signed, then a B&P inspector if agreed too, then they can get one near settlement & I would place a time frame on it if I were you and would also not be going up the road !

It is your home until you leave, 3 hrs with the dogs ? I would have told them to leave after 30mins or so, that is more than ample time to have another look.

wylie likes this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I think that's fair enough.
    Do they want a list of inclusions or just another sticky beak?
    You sending them the list is reasonable.