NSW Buy now in Sydney or in 3-6 months?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by poby, 26th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Best time to buy in Sydney

1. Now

2. in 3 months

3. in 6 months

4. wait even longer

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Actually I was reading today that apartments in certain areas are through the roof and apartments in others are down. There is a 2 speed market happening with apartments at the moment.

Houses as you say is a different story no matter where you buy you'd be up quite considerably.

2. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

What's your rationale for buying now?

If its your forever homehome and the security it brings for the family go for it - what prices do afterwards are somewhat irrelevant.

If you look at prices now and do not believe the stock is worth the price then sit it out.

Nobody on here can tell you what prices are going to do, so as much as you probably want to hear a complelling argument for prices to continue on a tear in order to justify paying what you already think is too much, forget it.

Instead focus on why you need or want to buy.

For what its worth I think prices are too high on just about every metric so Im sitting it out. For what its worth my only motivation to buy anyway would be if it worked out bettter than renting in my situation.

3. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

The market around the said areas is a bit soft at the moment but I think it will change in the next 6-12 months. Some young professionals who have a generous budget like yourself (but not high enough for a house) will look into buying unit - similar to what had happened during 2015-2016 where there was an auction for every units and sold well above reserve.

On top of that, the modern/luxury apartments there are particularly popular amongst HK/Chinese retirees - the area is lovely and they like the lifestyle. The opening of the international border would likely push the price up.

Strata fees are (arguably) higher across the board in the North Shore. This is because owners tend to throw in more money on the care and maintenance of the building (cleaning the wall/car park, extra work on the garden). In my view this is also why the apartment blocks are subjectively better maintained compared to apartment blocks in the West/South, even for blocks that were built 50-60 years ago like the ones on the Pacific Highway in Lindfield.

In short, buy now if you are ready.