VIC Buy in Keilor but airport runway??

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by krisskross, 10th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. krisskross

krisskross New Member

Hi all,

First time poster so just after some ideas or similar experiences.

My partner and I believe we found the perfect area to buy in Keilor/Keilor Village for us just off the Old Calder. Combined income of just over $200k, we're slowly saving for a 20% deposit and then look to buy after our wedding next year. We are looking to buy one house to raise our family for the next 20-30 years.

The reasons being:
    • Close to 2 major freeways (both drive alot for our jobs, avg 600km/week each)
    • Close to family on Western Side Melbourne
    • Decent size
    • Brimbank Park closeby, good for walks.
    The only downside is the airport, and with the North-South runway being delayed to 2038. It's inevitable that the noise from the airport will get worse after that. I looked at alternative suburbs/areas (Taylors Lakes/Keilor Downs) as well as solutions to minimize noise in the house (double-ply windows etc)

I lived in Tullamarine so quite used to airport noise, but don't know how much of a difference it'll be under a runway.

Would like to hear anyone else's experience living under a runway, how bad the noise was? and was their any way they were able to minimize noise?

OnTheMarket likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Looks like you'll be under the Essendon E-W airpath as well.

Maybe hang out near the house and check out the noise and frequency....

The Y-man

Archaon likes this.
  3. krisskross

krisskross New Member

Definitely in the plan.

The new E-W at Melbourne Airport will go over Gladstone Park & Westmeadows, so I'll also be using that as an example as well.

4. Chill2205

Chill2205 Well-Known Member

The E-W 3rd runway was dumped. It is now N-S and due to open in 2025.

The airport has a noise tool you can check out at
    Melbourne Airport | Noise Information Tool

5. krisskross

krisskross New Member

Do you have a link?

I have checked out the tool thank you.

6. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Won't a future runway affect values in the future?

Wouldn't you be best to buy in after the runway is completed and values are pushed down?

7. krisskross

krisskross New Member

Value of the house isn't my main concern.

Maybe it is best to wait and see.

We have looked at other suburbs, but guess it's easier to play the waiting game and see how it ends.

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Why not Tulla - you said you used to live there and it was ok?

The Y-man

9. Chill2205

Chill2205 Well-Known Member

10. TangibleGoodwill

TangibleGoodwill Well-Known Member

Are you planning on potentially knocking down and build new?

I know there is an additional airport planning layer with sound proofing requirements.

We bought right above Brimbank Park last year.

Beautiful elevated treetop views. It really is one of the best scenic and leafy areas the west has to offer.

We did consider the additional noise flight traffic will bring however we are planning on knocking down and building in the near future so will look to minimise noise as much as possible.

We also live on a main road currently which I think produces much more noise than flight traffic.

MikeyBallarat and The Y-man like this.
  11. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I don't think it is inevitable at all. By 2038, I think it is inevitable it will be quieter with new generation jets. and stricter noise limits. Planes will be much quieter, Made of lighter materials, have engines and turbines that have much more thrust and efficiency, BWB technology will be in use (supposedly 2035) increasing lift. Be electric hybrid, noise limits allowed will be reduced and over populated areas electric mode will be used . Recent knowledge about Winglets and feathering trailing wing edges smoothing airflow will also reduce noise.
    • The only downside is the airport, and with the North-South runway being delayed to 2038. It's inevitable that the noise from the airport will get worse after that. I looked at alternative suburbs/areas (Taylors Lakes/Keilor Downs

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia