Business ideas in a time of COVID-19

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Simon Hampel, 21st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Business is all about identifying and then working out a way to fill that need.

Based on some of the suggestions in this thread: COVID-19 and your business - impacts ... I was thinking we might be able to identify some opportunities for people to provide a product or service to people in this new reality we're all facing.

One thought I did have - mobile coffee vans - like the old icecream van playing music, you could roam the streets looking for people desperate for a good barista-made coffee. You could even deliver it to them if they are in quarantine or self-isolating.

I also liked @The Y-man's idea about having struggling restaurants switch to selling meal kits or preparing takeaway for busy people who need a wholesome meal but don't have as much time.

Any other business ideas people have which might help people while providing a source of income for those who are in a position to service the needs of the population?

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a tough one.

Maybe some kind of house sanitising operation.

Wearing a hazmat suit and with a gurney you blast the living daylights out of the virus with a concoction of household cleaners.

You can reassure the customers that no virus will survive the blasting but just be wary of inhaling the cleaning compounds.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

4. The Y-man

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Mobile coffee van is a great idea, very good idea for mobile icecream vans to adapt their operation. May not even need new permits etc from local & state health authorities (no doubt this an extra delayed process right now).

"Business continuity consultant" is a good one. Register a company, create a website and watch the work pour in (relevant experience/expertise desirable or just take it till you make it).

6. The Y-man

Melbourne does have quite a few mobile coffee vans - usually do the office block rounds, but yes they could redeploy to service people waiting in the super market queues! :D

The Y-man

AlphabetSoup likes this.
  7. AlphabetSoup

AlphabetSoup Active Member

Theres a mobile coffee van that visits the hospital I work at during night shifts. Its a perfect for staff working those long night shifts.

They alert staff via their facebook page what time they intend to be at the hospital. Some evenings there are staff queuing for coffee. I always appreciate when they sell cakes & other treats too!

8. ORAC

ORAC Well-Known Member

An augmented reality suit app so while at home working in your PJs and have a Skype for Business meeting, the app could overlay a nice suit - say a Zegna for a high powered meeting, the Hugo Boss for a sales presentation, and a M&S/DJs off the rack for something low key. Of course would cater for various situations, genders and meeting types.

9. The Y-man

Logistics/transport is obviously an issue right now (huge online orders etc) - I am sure someone should be making a mint from it.....

The Y-man

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Taco truck FTW. We have a few here that go to local parks and park for a couple of hours over lunch/dinner time.

A friend got a casual job as a school cleaner after the cleaning regimes were increased and they needed more staff. My brother got a second casual job at a local warehouse/distribution centre after his biz (handyman and gardening) took a bit of a hit lately.

MTR likes this.
  11. The Y-man

Thing is I think this whole social distancing thing and "there might be virus in my food because of the prep/handler" is the big fear. So the big selling point I think needs to be "we'll give you the material and you prep" or "nuke the little buggers in your MW to your hearts content.

It's the same with hairdressers - finding one that wears masks and changes gloves for each customer.

Shops should be running HEPA air filters ~ with the units visible from the front window (even inside shopping centres) ~ to show customers it's safe in there.

The Y-man

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I saw that one enterprising waste contractor is offering bin sanitation services to unit blocks.

13. The Y-man

[​IMG]

The Y-man

iloveqld and charttv like this.
  14. The Y-man

15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Can some one explain the numbers and panic please

16. big_ben02

big_ben02 Well-Known Member

An app to connect displaced workers with jobs. E.g. hospitality & tourism workers to work in the agricultural sector (who would usually rely on backpackers).

The Wife, Gockie and The Y-man like this.
  17. The Y-man

Another biz opportunity: someone to explain the numbers and panic @$200 per hour :D:D:D

The Y-man

The Wife, charttv and bob shovel like this.
  18. meme plecko

meme plecko Well-Known Member

A few years ago I registered a business to rent automated hand sanitiser dispensers to offices, private schools etc.
    Did not have time to further develop this idea, was busy with my full time job. Maybe I should restart this idea now? My job is very stable at times like this and I really like what I do, so won't have time again. If your business is down and you know how to develop new business from scratch, pm me, let's partner up;)

charttv likes this.
  19. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I started looking into making hand sanitiser that moisturised more - but don't really have the time right now! I did buy some raw ingredients for a batch of basic hand sanitiser that I'm using around the office and at opens.

20. Accidental Investor

Accidental Investor Well-Known Member

Healthcare, Community care, "Sterile" cabs instead of "Silver" cabs, Dual-bagged no-touch essentials delivery/collection using sterile protocols (very bad for the environment), hospital-quality disinfection team/infection control (like pest control).