Business credit card - Questions

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by jc212, 28th Jul, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jc212

jc212 New Member

Hi PropertyChat,

Been lurking for a couple of weeks and this is my first post.

For a bit of context:

I have been meaning to apply for a business credit card for my company. I am in hospitality and expenses will be approx. 300-400k p.a. The majority of my expenses go to my suppliers (butchers, grocers etc), rent and of course the ATO.

The reason I would like to have a credit card is to utilise the points and benefits.

Questions for PropertyChat:
    What credit card do you use for your business and what do you spend your points on?
    The majority of my suppliers do not accept credit card (all use EFTI). Then things like rent and the ATO are via BPAY. I know that there are payment platforms you can use for a fee to get around this, can you recommend any that are worthwhile?
    Are credit card fees tax deductible?

Cheers guys and gals

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

NAB business credit cards are genuine business cards rather than personal cards with your business name on them. This means that they won't impact on your personal servicability for loans since the business retains full liability for the cards.

I think there are a couple of other banks that have genuine business cards as well.

It's usually not worth paying a surcharge to use a credit card just to get points - you'd need to work out the dollar value equivalent of the points you'd earn and compare that to the surcharge fee.

Stoffo likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Especially now since the value of the points is so diminished...............

ta
    rolf

MWI likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Paying taxes will not generally gain points. All cards have excluded payment types ie lotto, gambling etc. Taxes commonly earn nil but some high fee cards (1.5% +) may offer points on tax payts. As Simon says generally the surcharge will exceed the point merits. The surcharge may be a business deductible for the personal rewards benefit - Two different entities perhaps ?

Sometimes the relationship between employer and employee may mean the points produce a fringe benefit. However it MAY be exempt. Check PSLA 2004/4...250,000 pts pa cap ? This could produce a FBT issue for the employer.
    https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/view.htm?docid=EV/5010048056788&PiT=99991231235958