Bungalow- who pays for services?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Otie, 31st May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I'm going to look at a property this week which has a house + bungalow. Both are tenanted. I have to find out in more details when I inspect it with the agent tomorrow.
    Property is in Moreland council Vic.
    I am wondering what it means if both the house and bungalow don't have individual gas/elec/water meters- what happens in that circumstance usually?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not individually metered = you pay unless the same people occupy the entire property

3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Would it be reasonable to have a "reasonable usage" clause or similar in the lease? I assume the monthly rent would be slightly higher compared to a house which doesn't have the owner paying for gas/elec/water?

Also, is it difficult to get separate meters installed? Im assuming it would be as I imagine everything for the bungalow is "piggybacking" off the main house

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If it doesn't fit the description in the tenancy laws you're going to be in breach.

It's easy enough to have a submeter installed, you will need to have someone come and read it. Water authority doesn't read submeters, PM's can't read either ;).

Last edited: 31st May, 2016
  5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Thanks.