WA Bull Creek/Willetton vs Canning Vale/Leeming

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Propty, 8th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propty

Propty Member

The medium price at Canning Vale and Leeming are much lower than before which make them more affordable.
    Do you think it is better to get in Canning/Leeming area with bigger block and nice house or squeeze into BC/Wiletton area with a bit older house and higher price?

How about the return in next few years?

Do you think Kardinya is a good candidate as well?

Thank you

2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

The main reason for the price difference is the state high school catchment areas. Rossmoyne high is very sought-after, and in recent years Willetton high seems to be up there too.

The bigger the house, the more expensive the renos...(most were built in the 80s in leeming)

Something to think about.

Last edited: 9th Mar, 2018
    Perthguy and charttv like this.
  3. Propty

Propty Member

Thank you.
    Do you think in the longer term is it worth to pay P&I for 200-300K price different and get in BullCreek/Willetton?

Thank you

4. Fitzy1903

Fitzy1903 Well-Known Member

We're also currently comparing these options for our next PPoR- moreso Canning Vale versus Willeton.
    Canning Vale is a lot cheaper - some sections have airport noise however and the traffic during peak hour is a bit worrying.

Willeton has the good high school and traffic is a lot better however priced a little bit higher!
    We're currently working out whether Willeton SHS would still be good in another 15-20 years. We don't know too much about public high schools and whether the performance of them fluctuate much over the years..

5. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Schools like Rossmoyne and Applecross have had good reputations for a long time. Willetton is a bit of an up and comer, but will probably maintain it's status as a good school thanks to the change in demographics in the catchment area suburbs. (Parents are known to push their kids to strive for academic results).

If you like CV then maybe live there and go private schools (using $ saved on cheaper house/loan repayments) if you don't like the public offering. Otherwise, buy IPs and rent where you want to live..

There's no avoiding aircraft nose in any of those areas, but commuting to the city from CV wouldn't be fun.

Fitzy1903 likes this.
  6. Oshawott

Oshawott Well-Known Member

This is just my own opinion but i think that houses in desirable school catchments maintain their price better because people always want their kids to go to good schools.

But at the end of the day, it will come down to what is important to you because it will be PPOR. School zone vs big house. Distance from work. Sleep better at night with smaller mortgage etc.....

Fitzy1903 likes this.
  7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't think Canning Vale is comparable to Leeming. Leeming every time. I'd also pick Bull Creek to Willetton any day of the week.

Fitzy1903, Phase2 and sanj like this.
  8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Bull creek Vs willetton is a closer call, canning vale Vs leeming isn't in any way, leeming is a far superior option in so many ways. Canning vale has terrible growth typically and terrible public transport links as well as smaller median block sizes than leeming

Leeming is a far better option imo, being brown as well as having gone to Murdoch I've soesp significant time in all the above areas and surrounds

Depending on budget Brentwood and Winthrop would be worth considering too, with Brentwood neighbouring Mt pleasant which is on track to be an increasingly desirable and varied suburb with all the amenities most would want. Some homes also benefit from being in both aoplecross and willetton high school zones, it's on the river, close to train station, has freeway onramp that avoids having to deal with canning hwy and leach HWY in mornings and is not far from freo too

The last few years have seen incredible opportunities though where people who were typically in the canning vale market were finding themselves able to afford houses in far superior suburbs that they normally would have no chance of affording, like Brentwood, Booragoon, ardross, alfred cove, bicton, sometimes even east freo

I can't remember any other time where someone building a 4x2 standard canning vale home could actually afford to buy in those suburbs I mentioned instead

Just like the fact that anyone buildjng a 2 storey apg type home on a standard no view mullalloo street could have bought large, nice home in city beach and Floreat instead

Give it 2 years and imo the difference in those 2 decisions will be not far off 1m in terms of the cost of their folly

Fitzy1903, charttv, Citycat88 and 2 others like this.
  9. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

My observation is this: look at the top students in these schools, there is a high % of ethic asians. As these people, many are migrants from China/India has the $$ to buy into the school zones, therefore, the property values are high. If you are in the Applecross/Rossmoyne catchment areas, it can be a tin shed and still sell well. Compared to paying private school fees, which is an expenditure item, you buy into these zones and get an appreciating asset. Why not?

Fitzy1903 likes this.
  10. sanj

Actually traditionally there have been pretty low numbers from China, with there being far more ethnic Chinese south east asians. That's an important distinction to make, because a boom in mainland chunese in an area can indeed lead to pockets of spectacular growth far in excess of any logic but it's not as likely here imo

The Shelley and rossmoyne area has indeed always had a steady jnderlying demand that ensured it ticked over but Mt pleasant, aoplecross, ardross areas (within aoplecross high school zone) are very picky and fickle when it comes to what doew and doesn't sell, taking the same approach there as you would rossmoyne could lead to absolute disaster and is something I'd definitely not be advising

Phase2 likes this.
  11. Propty

Propty Member

How about the rental opportunity for this area? Are they in big demand?

12. sanj

For what? In what condition and at what price range?

You're asking questions so vague any answer you get will have too much guesswork to actually be of use

13. Fitzy1903

I thought you didn't get much airport noise in Willeton/Bull Creek? I haven't lived there but heard from others that it's a peaceful pocket.

14. Fitzy1903

Why is that?

15. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Its a superior location in nearly every way. Why would Willetton be better?

Bull creek is closer to the freeway, historically higher in value than the current differences, more likely to be rezoned in the foreseeable future - I could go on...

Fitzy1903 and Phase2 like this.
  16. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

noise from choppers carries. Flight paths can be seen in this report..

Fitzy1903 likes this.
  17. Fitzy1903

We're currently look at a family home which has a decent public high school so people often talk about Willeton. And haven't really looked into Bull Creek so interesting to know!

18. Fitzy1903

Cheers, might have a good read tomorrow!

19. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

No need to read. Scroll down until you find a map of Perth with the designated flight paths overlayed