Building Underneath Queenslander?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Alex123711, 7th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Just looking for advice on buying a Queenslander to then build underneath, has anyone done this and have any knowledge of the process and estimate costs? I know it must be legal height underneath otherwise must be raised, there is also the flood risk which I guess is why a lot of these houses were built this way in the first place. Does anyone have any estimates of costs to build underneath, with and without raising the house (have seen a few that are already legal height)

2. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

whats the point? (extra valuation, rental income, granny flat) etc
    Makes an impact on the question asked

3. Alex123711

Rental income and valuation hopefully I guess

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Council approval needed - I believe they wont allow it in flood prone areas. Downstairs must not be a separate dwelling.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't do this for extra rental income or valuation because it will be very costly.

We have two houses we've gone through the exercise of whether to build under.

The designer who drew up our plans told us lifting, building under would be in the vicinity of $300k for a decent spec.

Anyone just building under a Queenslander is either going to add a downstairs living area and maybe a couple of bedrooms and a bathroom. I cannot imagine building under just bedrooms and rumpus (for example). Most would add a bathroom, laundry, and once you start adding in plumbing, you start to talk more than just adding a few walls, and external weatherboards. It all adds up very quickly.

When we built under our own house, we immediately had a bank valuation because we wanted to borrow again and needed a valuation. We got enough increase in value for our purposes, but the increase was from the market rising generally, not what we spent on making our house more livable for us.

The truth is that if we had to sell at that time, we would have not recouped what we spent to build under (one bathroom, large living area, garaging).

Subodh Shirodkar, Tim86 and namrata like this.
  6. Alex123711

Wow, that is expensive, I was looking at one to possibly convert to a share house, its legal height underneath, 3 bedrooms upstairs maybe add 4-5 underneath, but doesn't look like it would be worth it.

7. wylie

You'd need to know what you are doing is legal. Here in Queensland you cannot have more than five unrelated people sharing.

8. Alex123711

I see, where I've been looking there seem to be a lot of older qlder's with downstairs converted.. some legal height some not.. some classed as share houses some not, seems to be a grey area.

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

No, it’s not a grey area at all.

See above post from. @wylie

Illegal to rent to more than 5 unrelated people in a share house. BCC are very strict in enforcing.
    Marg

10. Alex123711

I mean grey in enforcing in some of the other areas I've looked, not just Brisbane.

11. wylie

What areas are you looking in?

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

After the 2011 floods, the BCC allowed flood affected houses to be raised higher than previously and even built under if the lower ground floor was going to be above the flood height. This is evident a lot in Deagan and Shorncliffe near my place.

On the other hand, if you want a house that you can legally rent to two separate parties, then you are looking into suburbs outside the BCC LGA - Logan and Moreton Bay, for example. You will need to cost fire safety and other insulation between the two occupiable areas.

Tim86 likes this.
  13. Alex123711

I have found a couple more properties that are legal height and already built in underneath however there are no rooms/ kitchen in underneath just open space for business and/ or garages, how much would I be looking at to convert these to rooms, maybe turn into a sharehouse/ add a kitchen maybe etc.?

namrata likes this.
  14. Alex123711

Also some old QLDERS have been reclassified as commercial, does this make it more complicated to build under?

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You want to see what any council says as development approval will be needed. The fire regs and noise issues for two separate habitable areas will be substantial. Just because you own it doesnt mean you are allowed to change it

gman65, Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I raised my queenslander in a flood overlay area and built under and extended back.

Unless you have the skills to do it yourself and a lot of spare time. Move on to the next idea.

Angel and gman65 like this.
  17. Alex123711

Thanks, I came to this conclusion as well, not worth the cost especially for places not even raised, and not something I could do myself. I have come across another couple of properties that are already built under and legal height however they are offices underneath so would need to change the layout/ add bedrooms (already have toilets), would this sort of thing also not be worth the costs involved? Any idea how much something like this would be?

18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Ive got no idea. Often what is built under isnt legal. So double check that.

Post pics and what you want to change if you want more of an idea of cost.