Building Insurance purchased in financial year

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by markson, 30th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. markson

markson Well-Known Member

Hi,

Was hoping to get some clarification.... I am due to settle on a property next month (July), house will be available for rent from the 7th of July. I purchased building insurance for the property in June.

How does the deductabiliy of the insurance work when the cost was incurred in a different financial year? Is it done on a proportion basis or do I need to cancel this policy and renew it again next financial year?

Thanks in advance

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The cost should be deferred to the time when it is available to rent. 2017. The ATO has a private ruling on their register that if the property is currently tenanted and you buy it with tenants then you can claim in in 2016.

3. markson

Thanks @Paul@PFI - so does that mean that even though I have already paid for it in 2016 I can just simply claim it in 2017? It doesnt have to be purchased in the financial year it is available for rent?

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The policy is incurred for a twelve month period of time. Look at borrowing expenses...They may be paid this year and deferred for as much as 60 months. Prepaid expesnes spanning 13mths + must be apportioned to each tax period. The interst example in Steele's case allows a deduction BEFORE income is available.

markson likes this.
  5. markson

Thanks Paul. I appreciate the info.